• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

consent to alter - replace windows and take down ceiling to insert sound proofing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• consent to alter - replace windows and take down ceiling to insert sound proofing

Hi my leasehold property has the following covenant
    "Not at any time during the said term without the licence in writing of the Lessor first obtained ( such Licence not to be unreasonably withheld) to erect or place any additional building or erection on any part of the demised premises and not without such licence as aforesaid ( such licence not to be unreasonably withheld) to make any structural alternation in the plan or elevation of the maisonette herby demised or in any of the party walls or the principal or bearing walls or timbers thereof not construct any gateway or opening in ay of the fences bounding the demised premises"

I read this as
    1. I can replace the windows provided i don't open up any more of the wall they are on to fit them - ie replace same size with same size and do not need consent do this
    2. Taking down the ceilings ( its old wallpaper and plaster which is sagging and has been pentrated with years of heavy tabacoo smoke so needs doing ) will amount to altering a party wall and therefore will need consent - as will the insertion of the sound proofing material
    3. as separate issue I guess I will need party wall consent for the ceiling as there is a flat above me

I wondered if there was any chance I could say ( rightfullly) that the ceiling work is " repair" and therefore I have to do it - and am obliged to do it - but guess it is also an alteration

all thoughts welcome

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X