• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Debt Collection - advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Debt Collection - advice please

Good afternoon, I wonder if you could help with correspondence I have received from Lowell. In September I received a letter from Lowell, out of the blue, saying that I had a debt of £605.29 outstanding, and if I was to pay it off now it would be reduced to £423.70. There was no mention on the letter what tis debt related to, and I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt. I wrote back to them stating that I had no knowledge of the debt and asked them to furnish me with more details and supply any original documents they had relating to this matter. They replied with a short letter stating that it was in connection with a T mobile phone account, with details that I did not recognise, that ran from 2007 and ended in 2010. I did not recognise any of these details and have never had a T mobile phone account, nor have I received and communication about the debt. I sought advice and was told that due to the age of the debt it would be 'Statute Barred' and sent them a letter to this effect, and again requested any documentation they could provide.
    Today, I have received a reply saying that in July 2013 a County Court Judgement was issued in respect of this matter and that letters would have been sent to me prior the court proceedings and after when the CCJ was issued. Again this is all new to me, I have never been aware of a CCJ having been taken out against me, I have never bought anything on credit, or experienced any problem getting bank cards, etc. I have lived at the same address for nearly 40 years.
    It is my intention to write back to them, again asking for original documents regarding the original debt, and now also the CCJ that was supposedly taken out against me.
    I am a pensioner, and this matter is causing both my wife and myself considerable stress and anxiety, and any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Hi BILLYSALLY

Welcome to LB

Try not to worry.

You could send T Mobile a SAR request, because of the time that's lapsed they may have no data on the account.

Even if there is a CCJ, they would have difficulty in getting the CCJ in Court because the Judge / Court would ask them why they have waited so long.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You are doing the right thing requesting documents.

Update when you get them.

You could make a 'Without Prejudice' low offer, just to see the back of them, but ask for advice if you do that.

Comment

Thank you for your reply - I was thinking of sending a SAR to Lowell, but agree one to T mobile could help. I will reply to Lowell, asking for documents to prove original debt and also details of the CCJ.
      I am confident I do not owe this or any other debt, so making an offer to settle the debt is out of the question, but I understand your reasoning if I was responsible for the debt.
      Thanks again and I will keep you informed of any progress.

Comment

I have had exactly the same thing from Lowell. No way to email them as far as I can see. Weird they are suddenly talking T-Mobile debts. Seems like a scam? I'll request the info you mention above. Please can you keep us updated? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by catkins10 View Post
          I have had exactly the same thing from Lowell. No way to email them as far as I can see. Weird they are suddenly talking T-Mobile debts. Seems like a scam? I'll request the info you mention above. Please can you keep us updated? Thank you.
          The best thing to do is, start your own thread. Posting on someone else's thread can lead to confusion.

Comment

Hello again, apologies for delay in replying but I have made several requests to Lowell for which I have been waiting replies. They still insist this is my debt and that a CCJ from 2013 is still in force against me, but as previously stated, I have no knowledge of this. I have however received a reply from Lowell, in respect of a SAR request I made, which shows details of the CCJ obtained at Northampton CC. The name shown on the form is the same as mine (no middle name) but living at an address in Essex at that time. I have never lived in Essex, I live in the Midlands at the same address since 1979. Obviously this is why I have never received documentation in respect of the CCJ. There is another entry that states change of main debtor details in 2019, that shows my details, address, d.o.b. etc.
            Once again, I know nothing of this debt. I can obviously prove that I have lived at my current home address for over 40 years.
            I can only assume, that Lowell have been on a fishing trip to find someone with the same name to pursue this debt, or more dramatically have I been subject of identity theft, although this debt goes back to 2007 and the CCJ 2013, and I have not had any similar problems.
            Thank you again for your help and any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Do you want to tackle this 'head on', even though Lowell's hasn't responded?

I think you have everything you need evidence wise, you've lived at the same address for 40 years.The change of details in 2019 is 'concerning', if they have the right person, why change the D.O.B.?

You maybe due compensation regards the incorrect information they held on you.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. My main concern is to get this matter finalised and get them off my back. The SAR from Lowell has proved useful, in that it gives details of the CCJ. I was intending to try and get details from the Northampton County Court, but I am hoping this will not now be necessary., although I would be interested to see the details of the original defendent.
                I will write again to Lowell, pointing out to them the original defenders details and asking why /how I was selected to take over this debt in 2019.
                I do appreciate your advice and will update you when I get a reply. Thank you.

Comment

Update re previous posts. I did write again, and today I have received a letter from Lowell saying that they have now opened a complaint procedure on my behalf. I didn't particularly indicate I wished to complain at this stage, so I can only presume that the nature of my letter implied this and they opened a complaint on my behalf. I'll wait and see the outcome of the complaint and update you when received. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by billysally View Post
                    Update re previous posts. I did write again, and today I have received a letter from Lowell saying that they have now opened a complaint procedure on my behalf. I didn't particularly indicate I wished to complain at this stage, so I can only presume that the nature of my letter implied this and they opened a complaint on my behalf. I'll wait and see the outcome of the complaint and update you when received. Thanks
                    Thanks for the update. They have 8 weeks to look into the complaint, then provide a final response / deadlock letter, if you still aren't happy, then you can take the complaint to the FOS.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and your help in the past. I will update you when I get result.

Comment

Hi Everyone. My latest update - today received the attached letter giving the result of my complaint. Should I send a letter asking for compensation for the anguish, time and money involved and the possible breach of Data Protection in respect of information held on me on their computers.

lowell2.JPG

Last edited by billysally; 1st March 2024, 14:39:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billysally View Post
                          Hi Everyone. My latest update - today received the attached letter giving the result of my complaint. Should I send a letter asking for compensation for the anguish, time and money involved and the possible breach of Data Protection in respect of information held on me on their computers.

lowell2.JPG

Well done.

Yes, seek compensation for the stress and anxiety caused to you.

Structure the Complaint (mark it as such), what happened, why it's caused you stress and anxiety and what you want them to do about it.

Follow their complaints process on their website.

Update when you get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Well done.

Yes, seek compensation for the stress and anxiety caused to you.

Structure the Complaint (mark it as such), what happened, why it's caused you stress and anxiety and what you want them to do about it.

Follow their complaints process on their website.

Update when you get a response.
                            Hello, I have contacted Lowell complaints department, outlining the stress and anxiety this matter has caused, as well as the time and expense involved investigating it, letter writing, postage, etc, and asking them to compensate me for this. They have replied, again apologising, but adamant they will not be paying any compensation.
                            Where do you suggest I go from here. In their letter they refer to the Dispute Resolution Ombudsman, if I am not happy with their resolution. Do you have any knowledge / Experience of them at all.
                            Thank you again.

Comment

Write back to them, explain that you want a Deadlock / Final response so you can lodge a complaint with the FOS.

Explain your reasons for seeking compensation, that you have been 'treated unfairly', you are not at fault here and this matter has has caused you stress / anxiety.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X