• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I think I'm being discriminated against because of my disability, but I'm not sure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm being discriminated against because of my disability, but I'm not sure?

Hey, hope you are all doing okay and this is the right place to ask. If it’s not, I hope someone could help with where I could take this.

I have disabilities that mean I really struggle with communication (ADHD/Autism) and I am really struggling with the way I am being treated by a private mental health service provider.

It’s complicated...because of course it is...but since I joined their service at the beginning of this year, they have made more mistakes in my care than I actually have space to write about. They’ve issued apologies in writing, promised to employ more staff, promised to do more training, given me free appointments, just about everything you can imagine to stop me from making an official complaint. All documented, I have the receipts. But the mistakes keep happening.

About 3 weeks ago, after phoning and asking for help, they told me that they didn’t know when anyone would be able to help because they “didn’t know people’s itineraries because everyone works remotely.” I, understandably I feel, had a little crack up at that point because I’d had enough.

There was no swearing. I wasn’t rude. I wasn’t aggressive. Nothing I said was untrue. I will die on that hill. But…….you can tell that the person writing the emails (me) is at the end of their tether and I am critical of their services and their staff. I think with good reason...but then I suppose I would.

Subsequently, the service provider has issued a “first and final warning” and said that they may need to “reconsider our ability to provide services to you” So now I can’t complain and have to be a good little patient or they will withdraw service. If they do that at this stage, I will have to go through the entire process I have been through this year again. It will cost a fortune (which I don’t have) and cost me mentally, so I probably won’t bother.

I am neurodivergent. My communication skills are affected by my disability and I think their first and final warning and threat of withdrawing service is discriminatory. There is nothing in their terms of service or FAQ’s regarding warnings.

Thanks for reading.

Tags: None

There should be a complaints procedure for the organization. Can you follow that?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      There should be a complaints procedure for the organization. Can you follow that?
      Thanks for answering and absolutely, that's all in hand.

It's a really level playing field too, coz when they found out I was making an official complaint they updated their terms and conditions and their complaints procedure (they've got a whole year now to respond apparently) and then they registered with the CQC (after 2 years of not being registered). I'm currently unsure if they should have registered sooner because the criteria is a minefield to navigate, that's in hand too. But, to quote the cool kids..'we move...'

That isn't really my question, I feel like I am being discriminated against because of my disability but I don't know if that is the case. If it is the case, I'll add it to the complaint they will be receiving in the next few days.

Comment

Have you sent them a Subject Access Request?

Also in the SAR ask them for all previous T & C's.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          Have you sent them a Subject Access Request?

Also in the SAR ask them for all previous T & C's.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Hi, thank you for responding.

I haven't, but I will now. That's really helpful.

Their new T's & C's suggest that they are not culpable for anything, not even the content of their website (they actually say this) So, effectively, they are saying that they aren't even responsible for their T's & C's. It's like having my mental health taken care of by an extremely aloof cat.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X