• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenancy advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy advice

I am writing this post for advice on behalf of my 86 year old mother
    we moved into a 3 bedroom house with out buildings attached in 1976
    the house at the time was part of a trust fund and was sold eventually to a private sale probably early 90’s and was sold again in 2005 according to Right move

the property is over 200 years old and is in a run down state, it is pretty much as it was when we moved in in 1976

my mother pays a peppercorn rent so it is a minimal amount but the house is very run down and does not have any central heating or storage radiators

my mother paid for double glazed windows to be put in and also for a security gate to be put up when the owner before it was sold in 2005 decided to change the access to the property. What she was now meant to do was to go through a double metal gate over a driveway that also has barbed wire attached as by making this access also made some local businesses vulnerable to vandalism and risk of theft

the property has penatrative damp

no one has ever been in touch to do any kind of works to bring the property to any standard ever in 50 years
    I have one email from my late brother showing correspondence from the then management company
    my brother in 2019 explained everything that was going on with the house and still no one came back to us

now a new management company have taken over and want to inspect the house ( just the exterior) and my mother is now fearful and terrified of being made to leave the property after all these years

my mum is very proud of her home albeit it isn’t hers , she tries the best she can with a degenerative eye condition
    i fear that any upheaval will be demonstrative to her health

i have tried to get advice from citizens advice but they do not seem to man the phones now or offer appointments

I just want to know what my mums rights are should this all come to a head
    i want my mum to live her final years in that house and not have to be fearful

thank you

Tags: None

May be a silly question but is there any kind of tenancy agreement?

Comment

I’m not really sure, it’s been so long and as I said we’ve never had any correspondence from the people who own it except to advise us of the rent increases

Comment

The length of the tenancy may give additional rights - see if you can find out your tenancy type with the checker from Shelter here https://www.gov.uk/private-renting-t.../tenancy-types

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X