• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

suspended on last day of working my notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspended on last day of working my notice

Hi,
    Some advice please, i handed my notice in at work to leave for a new job, on the last day of my notice my employer suspended me. The employer then contacted my new employer to inform them i was suspended without my consent or knowledge, is this lawful?
    Tags: None

What consequences have there been, if any?

Was there a reason for this action, or is it just some little Putin being pathetic?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

the new employer withdrew the job offer, im now unemployed. Even though im not an employee anymore they say they are still pursuing the investigation

Comment

What are they (employer) claiming you did to cause the suspension / investigation?

Something happened according to the employer, you are saying nothing happened, so what allegedly happened?

Comment

He has not said nothing happened. He has said nothing.

If the action was purely malicious, the OP may have grounds to bring action against his former employer.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            He has not said nothing happened. He has said nothing.

If the action was purely malicious, the OP may have grounds to bring action against his former employer.
            The employer would have given a reason for the suspension / investigation, the OP in their first post and subsequently hasn't said what. You pressed for information in your 1st post, sounds like the OP believes nothing happened for their to be a suspension / investigation.

Comment

they say i broke the data protection act

Comment

By doing what?

Comment

Originally posted by billyoh777 View Post
                  they say i broke the data protection act
                  The full story would be good, we won't judge you. Sounds like a 'client list' thing.

Comment

Hi! it seems that your employer may have acted unlawfully by suspending you on the last day of your notice and contacting your new employer without your consent or knowledge. If your employer suspended you without a valid reason, or without following a fair procedure, you may have a claim for breach of contract or constructive dismissal. You may also have a claim for defamation if your employer made false or damaging statements about you to your new employer.

Comment

That may be the case, but we need more information. I share echat11 suspicion that this may relate to a client list. If so, I can see a perfectly lawful letter warning of misuse of confidential information and, if appropriate, drawing the employee's restrictive covenants (if any) to the attention of the new employer.

But we are all hypothesising. If the OP shares the details, advice can be given based on those facts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X