• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Covert Video recording Small Claims Hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covert Video recording Small Claims Hearing

The Claimant (a ltd company) came to my home to look at the faults with the service he provided.
    At this time he covertly made a recording of our conversation; the details of why I was unhappy with the service.
    We have just exchanged witness statements and I notice he has asked the court to play the video recording.
    What will the courts reaction be? Its not the contents of the recording I feel uneasy about but him making the recording in the first place, in my home. Just not a nice feeling. He’s just disregarded the sanctity of my home.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Barrelmaker View Post
    The Claimant (a ltd company) came to my home to look at the faults with the service he provided.
    At this time he covertly made a recording of our conversation; the details of why I was unhappy with the service.
    We have just exchanged witness statements and I notice he has asked the court to play the video recording.
    What will the courts reaction be? Its not the contents of the recording I feel uneasy about but him making the recording in the first place, in my home. Just not a nice feeling. He’s just disregarded the sanctity of my home.
    He has to seek the Courts permission, but you can object on the grounds that it was done covertly, without your knowledge, so should be inadmissible as evidence as it might have been manipulated. If he were to transcribe the conversation, I believe that would be o.k.

https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insig...stify-the-risk

There will be more responses.

Comment

Thank you for your reply .... it’s appreciated.
      At which stage do I object? Do I write to the Court now? Or will there be another directive from the Courts?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Barrelmaker View Post
        Thank you for your reply .... it’s appreciated.
        At which stage do I object? Do I write to the Court now? Or will there be another directive from the Courts?

Thank you
        Write (email) to the Court now, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Just to add, there are cases where covert recordings has been allowed by the Courts.

Read in the link below - 'Can a private recording be submitted as evidence in court?'

Posted for info only - https://nechambers.co.uk/using-cover...t-proceedings/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X