• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim for Parking! (from DCB Legal) Lack of Clear Signage from UKPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim for Parking! (from DCB Legal) Lack of Clear Signage from UKPC

Hello LegalBeagles Community,

I am seeking your advice and expertise on a matter involving a parking charge notice (PCN) that I recently received. I have been issued a County Court Claim for this PCN, but I dispute the charge on the grounds of inadequate signage. I would appreciate any guidance on how to proceed with this issue.

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 18/03/23
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed: £250
    Claimant’s Name: UK Parking Control LTD
    Solicitors Firm: DCB Legal
    Original Creditor: UK Parking Control LTD
    Original Debt: Parking Charge Notice (PCN)
    Particulars of Claim:

1. The defendant (D) is indebted to the Claimant (C) for Parking Charge issues to vehicle [Vehicle Registration] at [Location].
    2. The PCN details are [date] [pcn number].
    3. The PCN was issued on private land owner or managed by C. The vehicle was parked in breach of Terms and Condition Signs (the Contract), thus incurring the PCN.
    4. The driver agreed to pay within 28 days but did not. D is liable as the driver or keeper. Despite requests, the PCN is outstanding. The contract entitles C to damages.
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    1. £160 being the total of PCN and damages. 2. interest at daily rate £0.02 3. Costs and court fees

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No, the PCN was issued in May 2022.
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I have sent a response to the Pre-action protocol for debt (letter before claim). The letter was dated 11th feb, said I had to reply "within 30 days", I replied 13th March. Exactly 30 days. I requested more information and also I requested they give me a further 30 days. They gave me more info, but did not give me further 30 days.

Any Other Information or Background Details: The charge is disputed due to the lack of entrance signage and the only other nearby signage being obscured by a lorry. The appeal to the parking company was unsuccessful, and the deadline to appeal to POPLA was missed.

On the day in question, I parked my vehicle at the Car Park, unaware of any parking restrictions due to the lack of clear signage at the entrance of the parking area. The only other signage on site was obscured by a parked lorry, which made it impossible for me to view the parking rules or notice any potential charges. In addition there was no entrance signage. Interestingly they have now added entrance signage and additional wall mounted signage. As a result, I did not purchase a pay and display ticket and subsequently received the PCN.

I firmly believe that the parking company failed to provide adequate and visible signage to inform motorists of the parking restrictions and associated charges. Therefore, I find it unjust to be held liable for this PCN and the associated county court claim.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance on how to dispute this charge and the county court claim effectively. What steps should I take to contest this PCN, and are there any specific legal arguments I can use to support my case? If anyone has encountered a similar situation or has experience dealing with such matters, your input would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Originally posted by empty_brain View Post
    Hello LegalBeagles Community,

I am seeking your advice and expertise on a matter involving a parking charge notice (PCN) that I recently received. I have been issued a County Court Claim for this PCN, but I dispute the charge on the grounds of inadequate signage. I would appreciate any guidance on how to proceed with this issue.

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 18/03/23
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed: £250
    Claimant’s Name: UK Parking Control LTD
    Solicitors Firm: DCB Legal
    Original Creditor: UK Parking Control LTD
    Original Debt: Parking Charge Notice (PCN)
    Particulars of Claim:

1. The defendant (D) is indebted to the Claimant (C) for Parking Charge issues to vehicle [Vehicle Registration] at [Location].
    2. The PCN details are [date] [pcn number].
    3. The PCN was issued on private land owner or managed by C. The vehicle was parked in breach of Terms and Condition Signs (the Contract), thus incurring the PCN.
    4. The driver agreed to pay within 28 days but did not. D is liable as the driver or keeper. Despite requests, the PCN is outstanding. The contract entitles C to damages.
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    1. £160 being the total of PCN and damages. 2. interest at daily rate £0.02 3. Costs and court fees

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No, the PCN was issued in May 2022.
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I have sent a response to the Pre-action protocol for debt (letter before claim). The letter was dated 11th feb, said I had to reply "within 30 days", I replied 13th March. Exactly 30 days. I requested more information and also I requested they give me a further 30 days. They gave me more info, but did not give me further 30 days.

Any Other Information or Background Details: The charge is disputed due to the lack of entrance signage and the only other nearby signage being obscured by a lorry. The appeal to the parking company was unsuccessful, and the deadline to appeal to POPLA was missed.

On the day in question, I parked my vehicle at the Car Park, unaware of any parking restrictions due to the lack of clear signage at the entrance of the parking area. The only other signage on site was obscured by a parked lorry, which made it impossible for me to view the parking rules or notice any potential charges. In addition there was no entrance signage. Interestingly they have now added entrance signage and additional wall mounted signage. As a result, I did not purchase a pay and display ticket and subsequently received the PCN.

I firmly believe that the parking company failed to provide adequate and visible signage to inform motorists of the parking restrictions and associated charges. Therefore, I find it unjust to be held liable for this PCN and the associated county court claim.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance on how to dispute this charge and the county court claim effectively. What steps should I take to contest this PCN, and are there any specific legal arguments I can use to support my case? If anyone has encountered a similar situation or has experience dealing with such matters, your input would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance
    The pcn....windscreen, or just postal (Notice to Keeper)?
    If the latter, ANPR or MNPR?
    Was the claim issued via MCOL?
    Is this for an England/Wales alleged contravention, & are you domiciled in E/W?
    Privately owned vehicle? Lease/hire? Company owned?
    Could you post up the documentation received? (Front & rear, suitably redacted, but leave all dates & times visible).
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The pcn was a Windscreen PCN handed by an attendant.
      Yeah the Claim was issued by Money Claims .gov.uk
      Im in England, where the PCN was issued.
      Privately owned vehicle

I am currently away from my documents will post asap.
      I have received threats from 2 debt collection agencies and 2 solicitors/legal firms.
      This is the second legal firm.

Comment

Originally posted by empty_brain View Post
        The pcn was a Windscreen PCN handed by an attendant.
        Yeah the Claim was issued by Money Claims .gov.uk
        Im in England, where the PCN was issued.
        Privately owned vehicle

I am currently away from my documents will post asap.
        I have received threats from 2 debt collection agencies and 2 solicitors/legal firms.
        This is the second legal firm.
        Who is the other legal firm? What is the back story concerning this?
        We'll be in a better position to give an opinion when you post the docs.
        As your defence atm appears to be lack of adequate signage, have you taken photos to prove same?
        Also take a close-up of the displayed signs/t&c's & post on here.
        Btw, I take it that you have redacted details from the Particulars?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X