• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

company falsely claiming money from me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company falsely claiming money from me

I've been receiving threatening emails from a travel company who believe I owe them £200.
    This is based on the fact I cancelled a holiday after paying the deposit.
    If the cancel date is beyond 42 days - 60% of holiday must be paid (£200).
    I received an email on day 42 saying it was my last chance, and to cancel immediately or pay the fee.
    "Should you need to cancel, this is your last chance to cancel resulting in loss of initial deposit (£150). After today, the cancellation fee will increase to 60% of your total trip cost, and then 80% until 100% of total booking as per the cancellation bands above. "

I replied instantly informing them of my cancellation.
    It wasn't until the next day I received an email asking me to click a link called 'request cancellation' which I did.
    2 days later I received this:
    1. Please respond to this email stating that you confirm you have read the Terms & Conditions, and you wish to proceed with the cancellation.
    Again, I replied instantly. However the company are claiming this as the cancellation date thus being beyond the 42 day cancellation window.

My question,
    Given the information, would I be liable to pay the additional cancellation fee.

They've threatened to refer me to their debt collection team,
    If they take me to court and I this written email evidence of me cancelling the holiday on day 42.
    Will this be enough to win the case, and could I possibly have them pay compensation.

Additional information;
    Terms & Conditions
    6.1 If you want to cancel your holiday, the Main Booker of your Group must advise us immediately by sending us an email to the following address help@wastelandski.com. Verbal cancellations will not be accepted.

I emailed the main booker of the holiday weeks prior to this, and have evidence of such.
    T&C's

https://booking.wastelandtravel.com/...ns-2022_23.pdf

Tags: None

When you replied saying you wanted to cancel, was it to the help@ email address?

Are you the main booker? If not, why are you receiving these demands?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi,

Yes when I replied it was directly to the help@wastelandski.com.

I'm not the main booker, I haven't had any contact with them since sending the email saying I couldn't go.

It's for a Uni ski society.

Comment

clarification needed.

1. Did you cancel l just for yourself or for the whole party?

2. From whom did you receive the email on day 42?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sure,

It was just myself cancelling from the group of around 30.

The email came from the travel companies customer support email

Comment

I suggest that you stand your ground and state the facts as you see them.

Comment

Thank you I will.

I was wondering, as i clearly have cancelled in time, if they try to take me to court.

Is there anything i could benefit from this? Like counter claiming them for money for bringing a false case forward?

Comment

Originally posted by picasso0 View Post
                Like counter claiming them for money for bringing a false case forward?
                No. This is why we have courts and judges - to hear and decide disputes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X