• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

what are my statutory rights as a consumer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are my statutory rights as a consumer

Hi all,
    Greetings.

We recently sold our big house and bought a new smaller house nearer to my son where he is living.
    My new house is perfect for us.We are spending more time at home than work,becuse we both retired from work.
    so now we need more personal space at home.Thats why we planned to make a conservatory back of my house with one brick wall and three glass walls.

Now I am worried about a company who we had hired to build a conservatory for us.
    We have paid them £5500 upfront just on signing the contract on a letter headed paper on the 5th of November 2022.
    Yet, there was no sign of any work at all, although it’s now 3 months since we put the deposit in advance.
    In three months only once, they sent some people to remove my 2 wooden raised planting beds and dig a small hole in the garden.
    ( Garden looks a mess now!)They left a skip full of garbage in front of my door.(We could not park our driveway in three months).
    They asked me to ring the company to clear the skip. I'm ringing them every two weeks but every time we call them they politely
    say they will bring over the skip next week but no next week comes.
    If there is any work- in- progress then if any problem is no problem.

Now, my worries are if this is what they are like then if once they dig the foundation what guarantee that they will not leave my backyard with a big hole for weeks or never come back .
    They did not give any time limit to finish their job, before we asked they told that any construction job can not give you any time limit! What i understand that now, we dig our own grave,
    theres no way out! I'm living in England and what's happing with me I never dreamed off!

I would be very grateful for your thoughtful suggestion about what steps I should take to secure the work as well to secure the money I paid.

What's my cosumer rights are? and how am i gonna secure them? How can I ensure that they will stick to a time frame? or would it best to walk away?
    in that event, how can i get my money back? if any one can advice me, I will be very grateful.

thank you in advance~
    Tags: None

Hi Prishaan

Welcome to LB.

Before you hired them did you carry out any research on them? Viewed any of their work, Read reviews i.e. Trustpilot etc
    Bad companies always leave a 'fingerprint' somewhere. Are they members of any associations or guilds etc?

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the work has to be carried out in a timely manner and to satisfactory standard standard.

What you need to do is stop ringing them, write letters, send Recorded. Tell them that the work should have been completed by now, ask them when they propose to start the work, if it unsatisfactory, tell them you want your monies returned immediately. Tell them you will consider starting legal action if the matter isn't resolved. Just bare in mind they have done some work and might have bought materials etc.

You can also contact Trading Standards through CAB. The Ref number they give you can be added to letters you send the Trader.

How did you pay? Credit card?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-improvements/

You can amend the following template.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-quality-work/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Prishaan

Welcome to LB.

Before you hired them did you carry out any research on them? Viewed any of their work, Read reviews i.e. Trustpilot etc
      Bad companies always leave a 'fingerprint' somewhere. Are they members of any associations or guilds etc?

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the work has to be carried out in a timely manner and to satisfactory standard standard.

What you need to do is stop ringing them, write letters, send Recorded. Tell them that the work should have been completed by now, ask them when they propose to start the work, if it unsatisfactory, tell them you want your monies returned immediately. Tell them you will consider starting legal action if the matter isn't resolved. Just bare in mind they have done some work and might have bought materials etc.

You can also contact Trading Standards through CAB. The Ref number they give you can be added to letters you send the Trader.

How did you pay? Credit card?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-improvements/

You can amend the following template.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-quality-work/

Thank you for your detail reply. Very helpful and informative.

Yes, I did some research and found some some mixed reviews. I was not really keen to go with them prior to meeting their rep but I should admit the person who came to discuss was very convincing and easily persuaded us to sign an agreement. In hindsight, I would think we dropped our guird. I bet the man is a fraud and a liar. We are two retired elderly person got carried away.

I have no clue if the company is member of any association or guild. How can I find that out, if can advice me?

I paid them through debit card as the sum was a big amount. That was another mistake.

I hope this above has answered all your queries.

Thank you again for your thoughtful words.
      Last edited by Prishaan; 18th February 2023, 12:10:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prishaan View Post

Thank you for your detail reply. Very helpful and informative.

Yes, I did some research and found some some mixed reviews. I was not really keen to go with them prior to meeting their rep but I should admit the person who came to discuss was very convincing and easily persuaded us to sign an agreement. In hindsight, I would think we dropped our guird. I bet the man is a fraud and a liar. We are two retired elderly person got carried away.

I have no clue if the company is member of any association or guild. How can I find that out, if can advice me?

I paid them through debit card as the sum was a big amount. That was another mistake.

I hope this above has answered all your queries.

Thank you again for your thoughtful words.
        PS : Just i found out they are stanbrook & nicholson certified member.

Comment

Originally posted by Prishaan View Post
          PS : Just i found out they are stanbrook & nicholson certified member.
          Was it Visa / Mastercard Debit? If so you could try to claim the money back with a Chargeback, there is a time limit 120 days.If you are in time, phone your bank, but write to them as well, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

They are members of Fensa.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Was it Visa / Mastercard Debit? If so you could try to claim the money back with a Chargeback, there is a time limit 120 days.If you are in time, phone your bank, but write to them as well, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

They are members of Fensa.
            thank you so much.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X