• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Joint land ownership agreement to offer first to each before open market sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint land ownership agreement to offer first to each before open market sale

My neighbour and I bought a parcel of land as tenants in common
    We agreed that if we wanted to sell we would formally offer it to each other granting 28 days before going to the open market otherwise
    The party offered the right to buy the land had 28 days to formally reply indicating whether they wish to buy or not
    Valuation to be agreed by a RICS member if we couldn’t agree a value ourselves
    This agreement was formalised in a Solicitor’s Office as a Deed and a document was produced setting out these terms
    Both parties signed this agreement in front of witnesses and retained a copy
    Our neighbour has just offered another party the opportunity to buy his interest in the land without compliance with the terms as set out above
    He will not communicate with us
    Can he do so?
    Last edited by Pinkaroo; 9th February 2023, 20:51:PM.
    Tags: None

If your agreement is well drafted you should be able to enforce it.

Would you be able to buy his share?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your response
      I would like to buy it following the process set out in the deed around written agreement to buy complying with the RICS Valuation but he has moved house and refuses to communicate with us

Comment

How do I enforce it and ensure he doesn’t just sell it
        ive told the people who want to buy it about the Deed but they see an opportunity to buy and may choose to ignore my words

Comment

Step 1. Write a firm but polite letter reminding him of the agreement. Ask if he is intending to sell his share, and say that if so, he must first offer the share to you.

Step 2. If you have to, you can apply to court for an injunction to stop him selling his share without first offering it to you. Legal assistance recommended.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus
            Im very grateful for your Counsel

Comment

Atticus
              Do you see any harm in showing the Deed to the person proposing to buy contrary to our wishes so that they can be assured of its existence ?

Comment

I see no reason not to do that.

Comment

Thank you
                  I am following your advice today and am most grateful
                  I shall update

Comment

Atticus
                    would this Deed be considered a Covenant?
                    if it were and it was not registered with Land Registry would it be unenforceable?
                    I simplistically see it as a Contract between two parties?
                    Am I wrong?

Comment

I hope all goes well and that expensive action can be avoided.

​​​​​Edited to add: Lawyers refer to promises made by deed as covenants. But it is just a word: we are talking about legally binding and enforceable promises.

Registration at Land Registry is not important; I assume that you are shown to own the land as tenants in common.

What you have described is an enforceable agreement.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X