• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant won’t leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant won’t leave

I have given my tenant over a years notice to leave as I have am now retired and I want to free up my assets for personal reasons. . She is being awkward with potential buyers and tries to put them off. She has now not cleaned the house and it’s awful
    and is off putting to potential buyers. She has also taken down for sale sign. The tenancy was just for her and her son She told me she was separated from husband. Now I find her husband has moved in and her mum and dad. I’m at my wits I’m worried the council will take me to course for multiple occupancy. I have never put a foot wrong.
    Tags: None

what kind of tenancy agreement do you have? AST?

Comment

Yes it is. I have now been told that we have to serve another section. 21 notice as it expired before we got a court order. I am literally at breaking point.

Comment

Why is a section 21 notice only valid for 6 months ?

Comment

The law, that's why!
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

A law that is about to change?

Comment

Is this so ? Please tell me more.

Comment

4D)Subject to subsection (4E), proceedings for an order for possession under this section in relation to a dwelling-house in England may not be begun after the end of the period of six months beginning with the date on which the notice was given under subsection (1) or (4)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/21

See also:
                https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-8658/

Comment

Grandaughter had this problem. As you have been advised, you serve a Court order giving 6 months' notice to vacate, this then applies for the people to vacate, if they refuse to leave then I am afraid that you have to involve the Balifs to evict.

Comment

With respect to DE DOGS, his advice is simply wrong. A s,21 Notice of Possession gives the tenant 2 months to quit. A s.8 Notice can give as little as 14 days for the tenant to quit.

In both cases the Notice becomes stale after 6 months, meaning that an application to the court for an Order of Possession will be refused.

If an Order of Possession is granted, the tenant must quit with a time frame of 2 to 6 weeks depending on the terms of the Order and if he/she does not quit, an application for a Warrant of Possession is made. If that is granted, 14 days after the Warrant is issued, it becomes live and Bailiffs can eject the tenant and take possession on behalf of the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
                      With respect to DE DOGS, his advice is simply wrong. A s,21 Notice of Possession gives the tenant 2 months to quit. A s.8 Notice can give as little as 14 days for the tenant to quit.

In both cases the Notice becomes stale after 6 months, meaning that an application to the court for an Order of Possession will be refused.

If an Order of Possession is granted, the tenant must quit with a time frame of 2 to 6 weeks depending on the terms of the Order and if he/she does not quit, an application for a Warrant of Possession is made. If that is granted, 14 days after the Warrant is issued, it becomes live and Bailiffs can eject the tenant and take possession on behalf of the landlord.
                      Thanks, I posted the problems our Grandaughter had, that was the route she had to take from memory, but stands to be corrected.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X