• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caveat Lessee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveat Lessee

If there was a building problem which affects a flat prior to lease being assigned, is the Freeholder liable to correct it ? Or since it was bought like that is there no responsibility because flat is as it was bought ?
    Tags: None

If it is the freeholder's responsibility under the lease it remains the freeholder's responsibility.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks Atticus. As sometimes happens not what I wanted to hear. However, appreciate prompt and clear response.

Comment

Sorry about that. I can only give what I consider to be the right advice.

(Hopefully it is the right advice!)
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If the freeholder's covenant is to keep in substantial and good repair is that relevant ? That is, if in same state no lack of repair. So no breach of covenant.
          The leaseholder has to keep in substantial and good repair and condition. Does this apply more stringent requirements on the leaseholder ?
          I'm avoiding detail so as to not identify case.

Comment

I am not sure that based on that I can say anything other than that the respective obligations need to be considered and understood.

Comment

Appreciated. Unfortunately, it seems in some cases people only go on about Freeholders responsibility and forget leasesholder also has obligations.

Comment

To do what is wanted would breach Freeholder covenant not to allow work damaging, detrimental to other parts of building. Several surveyors have said it would cause problems elsewhere and advised against.
                What action might leaseholder be able to take to get what she wants ?

Comment

Indeed, can a Freeholder be made to breach a lease covenant ?

Comment

leaseholder might apply for declaration that freeholder's consent to do work is being unreasonably withheld. It sounds as if freeholder has a defence.

Comment

Thanks. My hope was that requiring the freeholder to do something which broke a lease covenant was definitely not permitted.

Comment

As I said, that should give the freeholder a strong argument.

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't noticed before but very pleased to see you recognised as a VIP member, well deserved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X