• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court issue

Hi guys,

I've got caught for shoplifting in primark today. The total value is 89 pound. I'm super regretful and shameful. Previously they wanna call the police but the security guard was considering I'm still a student so didn't call the police. they took me to downstairs and i filled a form with basic information like name/address/NI number. They said I'll receive RLP letter soon and i have to pay all the losses. I'm super worried now. Will this affect my criminal record and will it affect my study, career and Visa. I'm an international student btw. Help pls!!! Thank you!!!
    Tags: None

did the security guard describe the "losses" Primark sustained?

Assuming the articles stolen were recovered in a saleable condition, and keeping in mind the security guard was only doing the job for which he is paid (even if he does not detect anybody stealing), Primark have no losses.

So when the RLP letter (and follow up letters) arrive, just ignore them.
    Altho' they will seem threatening they are not worth worrying about and can be completely ignored.

As the police were not involved there will be no criminal record about this event, and it should not affect your studies, career or Visa.

Comment

Thank you, so they took everything back (no damages) and calculated the value the the products. Then they said the i have to cover everything (the product+security fees+manager fees+etc. ) probably would be 200 pound+ as my punishment. They said i just need to wait for the receipt letter. Also no police is involved during the whole process but they got my address and NI number. So I'm super worried and don't know what i should I

Comment

I trust advice from Des. Don't worry. I've read many similar cases. It is an unfounded claim. What they were telling you is way over the top.
        You will have learnt a valuable lesson. Best wishes for your future.

Comment

What makes these people think they can hand out "punishments" willy nilly?
          They have no legal power to do so, and are acting like vigilantes who consider themselves as judge, jury and executioners.

All they could claim is what they have lost, and they lost nothing.
          They pay security and mangers costs whether or not you even enter the shop, and those costs are not caused by you. They are business costs which are incurred despite your actions.

Last time RLP tried court they lost rather heavily see here: judgment in the case A Retailer v Ms B & Ms K .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X