• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disability discrimination claim against dbc legal and highview parking advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability discrimination claim against dbc legal and highview parking advice please

Brief background
    Wife parked in local shopping area that has recently introduced a 2 hour parking limit (been free and not time limited for the last 30 plus years).
    She has parked here maybe 2 times per week for the last 25 years.
    My wife has been type 1 diabetic from birth.

Events
    Get a phone call from wife saying that her blood sugars were dropping and no matter what she ate, they were not rising. She needed me to come and collect her and the car. She would not nor could not legally drive with a low blood sugar. This has only ever happened on one other occasion in 30 years of driving.
    By the time I arrive and leave the car park, she had over stayed (free parking) by 11 minutes.

The letters begin
    Get the parking charge notice from highview and write to them explaining what had happened and asking them to cancel.
    they did not respond. More letters from them, send another letter and 2 emails. No response to any correspondence
    Next step it gets passed to DCB Legal ltd where it starts over again. Same format, wrote to them, explained situation, no response.
    Letter from them to say they intended to go to court, sent a copy of the previous emails back to them...no response

Then it goes to court
    Get the court claim dated the 21st Dec on the 7th Jan (postal strikes etc) so knowing there was no time to send them back via post, did the process online on the 9th Jan, stating I intended to challenge everything.
    The defence paper work required a signature so as it had bought more time, this was sent by post.
    The content of the defence was simple, diabetic automatism....and copies of the emails and letters that had been sent to highview and dcb legal ltd.

Waiting for the court directions and location to be sent and instead receive a default judgement dated the 26th Jan.
    DCB having added over £150 on top of the original claim.

Contacted the court who said they have notification of the registration and intent to challenge but they have no record of the defence letter so by default I lost.

Background to land owner
    I had at the beginning of this, tried to contact the land owner to ask them to dismiss the claim. Asking around the shops and locals, no one seemed to know who owned the land. Eventually used land registry and paid for the documents and discovered that they are a British Virgin Island company but they did have a local office listed in London.
    On checking the details of the office, it turns out to be a private flat with literally 00's of companies registered there.

Asking around the business community I discover that I actually know one of the directors of this BVI company and he lives nearby.
    I doorstep him and explain what has happened but he informs me that what happens with the parking is all handled by highview, he has no knowledge or input.
    I explain that I'm going to court for a disability claim and that perhaps I could add the company to the litigation list. He was quick to point out that as a BVI company, they were untouchable and only subject to BVI laws.

This has lead me to wonder if highview can actually have a written contract with a company outside of the UK law to use UK law
    The purpose of a BVI company is tax evasion so why would they agree to a contract that placed them under UK jurisdiction?

The full amount has already been paid to the court so as to avoid a ccj rather than a set-aside (was actually less to pay than set aside anyway) so now I don't have to pay for a counterclaim either. Its now a fresh claim of disability discrimination against these two companies as type 1 diabetes is a protected disability.

I have to get the court date ASAP to make a claim for disability discrimination as it is seen as time limited and should be taken at the earliest opportunity. The fact that my wife has been to court and had a money award against her means the actual discrimination occurred on that date because prior to them being awarded money, there was no actual discrimination. The money claim was the point at which the offence occurred.

Any suggestions or observations or comments on this situation would be appreciated.

Tags: None

I'm sure more qualified people will reply, excellent forum. I am just replying on a personal level. I find it appalling that you should be subject to this because you did the right thing. Doing that was stressful. It is disgraceful that this has been added.
    As a motorist I commend your actions. Might one of the motoring organisations support you. As an A.A member I,'d be happy to see this taken up. Too many, if it is inconvenient , take a chance putting themselves and others at risk. Thanks.

Comment

Obviously not attracting others. I suggest trying Pepipoo forum which is for motoring legal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Scot22 View Post
        I'm sure more qualified people will reply, excellent forum. I am just replying on a personal level. I find it appalling that you should be subject to this because you did the right thing. Doing that was stressful. It is disgraceful that this has been added.
        As a motorist I commend your actions. Might one of the motoring organisations support you. As an A.A member I,'d be happy to see this taken up. Too many, if it is inconvenient , take a chance putting themselves and others at risk. Thanks.
        There has recently (2019) been a similar situation with Excel Parking which made national headlines but there is no record of what happened next, perhaps they withdrew.

I did consider the probabilities of this having happened before, given the number of drivers with diabetes but on reflection, there are a set of circumstances that have to align in a very precise way. This would never have been an issue or even considered had it not been for the car park having introduced the new limit. It would have been one of things you accept living with diabetes and driving.

Diabetes type 1 is a protected disability under the Equality act and the ONS data shows that there are more cases coming before the courts for discrimination, significant rises actually. The ONS also states that the highest award recently for disability discrimination was £266,000.
        Why would a company run such a risk when these actions were indefensible and unwinnable. There are no circumstances under which deliberate and continued disability discrimination can be defended or justified.

We are looking for the meanest, nastiest most ruthless law firm we can find on a no win no fee basis and allow them to keep the entire award provided the result is a serious financial pain for highview and dcbl.

A SAR to has been issued to highview and DCBL (they have replied to say they have received it, highview have not replied) so waiting to see what comes back.

Our family friend barrister has a belief that this is actually a very simple case to present, so much so that he suggest he's not needed in court. The only appeal he can see is against the damages awarded. He believes they will be substantial given the fact that there both companies deliberately discriminated as they both had knowledge and both acted independently and jointly in their malice

Comment

Highview is a part of Group Nexus. A BPA member.
          Per the BPA Code of Practice, if there has been a parking event, you are allowed minimum 10 minutes 'grace' to exit the site.
          According to common law, you are allowed a 'reasonable period' to enter the site & read the sign (the 'unilateral contract') to decide whether to accept the displayed terms of parking. Contract law 101....an offer MUST be communicated to the offeree.* (Common sense, really)
          Also, the 'materially affects' rule in the BPA CoP states that any changes in the terms of parking must be prominently displayed for a reasonable time to warn users, esp regulars.

It seems that parking co's have engaged solicitors to turn up the heat....possibly on a NWNF basis.
          County court claims are currently flying around like confetti.
          Imho it is a nasty tactic to force people to cough up....a numbers game, as they gamble that most will.

*Entorres v Miles Far East [1955] 2QB 327 Court of Appeal

https://www.britishparking.co.uk/wri...2020_v8(2).pdf

Last edited by JMcG; 7th February 2023, 21:55:PM.
          ignorantia juris non excusat

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X