• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour attempting to restrict/redefine an easement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour attempting to restrict/redefine an easement.

If you have an easement right “at all times with or without vehicles to pass and repass over land to access to or egress from the property” can the servient tenement dictate the type of vehicle used? For example preventing the delivery of building materials, but allowing the delivery of a sofa.

It seems illogical to me that a neighbour seems to think they have the right to determine who we can and cannot visit our property to deliver items.
    Tags: None

On the basis of what you have said, I provisionally agree. That answer may change with the provison of full details.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Is this the location where new houses are being built? If so I wonder if they could have any issue re the amount of usage? May be barking up entirely the wrong tree here!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        Is this the location where new houses are being built? If so I wonder if they could have any issue re the amount of usage? May be barking up entirely the wrong tree here!
        No, this easement has been in existence since the mid 80’s. We would like to carry out some minor building works on our own land, predominantly in our back garden, but the neighbour has indicated that this would be outside the scope of our easement rights, and fall within the Access To Neighbouring Land Act 1992.

We have not purchased any additional land and with the exception of loading & unloading we do not need to use any of the neighbours land for the building works.

Comment

So far, I still agree.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you - I had seen another post about someone who had applied to build houses in their garden and had a similar problem. On the surface there does not seem to be a reason why access can be refused?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X