• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car hire damage issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car hire damage issues

Hi all,

My car was in a bump just before Xmas, and I was given a hire car from the other drivers insurance as they admitted liability.
    The provider of the hire car was a company called Auxillis.
    All went well and we agreed the car would be delivered on a Friday between 10am and 11am.
    As I was at work at this time, they agreed to drop it off at my place of work.

Mid afternoon the car still hadn't arrived so I called Auxillis who informed me there had been an issue and that they were trying to find another provider to get a car to me.

The weekend came and went, and then out of the blue at 4:45pm on Monday, I get a call from a Thrifty driver telling me he was here (at my place of work) with the car and could I come and collect the key.
    I inform the driver I was not at work, I was at home, so I asked if he could drive the 10 miles from my work to my home address to drop the car off.
    He tells me no, He is not insured to drive the car after 5pm he says. In the end he left the key at reception at my place of work.

The car was left in a public car park overnight.

Next day I come to work, spotted the car (with both back windows fully down which was a bit bizarre) and picked the key up from the reception desk.

There was no paperwork, No condition report, no contract, nothing. Just the key

I return the car a week later. It is collected from my home address while I am away at work. (The wife handed the keys over)

I then get an email and a phone call telling me about damage to the car and that I am liable to the tune of around £800. Damage that I certainly didn't cause.
    They claim that I had caused 3 very small minor scuffs.

I explain to them what had happened with the drop off/pick up, and that at no point was I given or shown any check out and check in damage report.
    I wasn't given the option!
    A copy was not left for me to check, nor was anything emailed to me.

They then tell me that in the terms of their contract I have 24 hours to report any damage.
    How could I know this when no terms were given, or communicated with me.

They sent me a copy of the 'check out' report which has been signed by someone at my work (possibly??) but certainly not me.
    They send a copy of the 'check in' report showing all the so called damage. Not signed, just has a CNP written on it. I assume that means 'customer not present'

I am at a loss, as I really cannot see how I can be charged for something that I was not informed about at any stage.

They have my credit card details so will take the money at some point soon.

Help?

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X