• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil recovery

Hi guys

yesterday I got caught for shoplifting for 3 pounds worth of good. Yes I’m aware this was very stupid, I now know I shouldn’t have done this and now know the consequences of my actions

I’m currently 16 and have been laid off my part time job recently, I mostly support myself as I’m too scared to seek financial support from my parents due to guilt and I’m too scared to let them know I was let go. Because of this I no longer have sufficient funds. They are aware of the situation and are disappointed but understanding.

the security guard that took me to the back took down all of my details and said they would send me a civil recovery fee which I’m scared I’ll be unable to pay for myself. I don’t want to punish my parents for my actions. He said I was at risk of court if I failed to pay when the letter arrives, I will be at risk of being taken to court

can anyone please advice me on what to do I’m scared.
    Tags: None

Just scare tactics, I would be amazed if they took you to court however much they threaten you in letters. It has been tried and tested in court before and these civil recovery companies have failed, largely because there is no loss if the goods have been returned.

You may want to consider coming clean with your parents but I would recommend under no circumstances should you or your parents agree to pay the supposed civil recovery fee. Standard practice is that they may send multiple letters huffing and puffing but eventually go away once they realise you are not going away.

Wait for the first letter and come back to us if you have any concerns.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for that advice and I’ve let my parents aware, the only thing I took was some food items as I was starving and had no money with me, I was extremely desperate and I’ll be sure to let you know when I get it! You’ve calmed my nerves

Comment

also, is it better just to ignore them then, I really don’t want a criminal record that will destroy my future

Comment

First, you won't have a criminal record as it is a civil matter so you could end up with a county court judgment if taken to court and you don't pay within one month (after non-payment it stays on your file for 6 yeas) so if you lose so that could affect job applications or certain professions.

You can ignore them and many people do, but there is always a risk although very small risk, that they might issue court proceedings but I've yet to see that happen. I'm always in favour of responding with a very robust letter, telling them where to go in a polite way and stop contacting you. That could prompt them to send further letters and threats but I think that is about as far as it would go. They would be looking foolish if they attempted to bring legal proceedings where they have no involvement in the recovery or any legitimate claim.

Up to you how you want to play it but I wouldn't worry too much unless you receive a court claim which will look something like below, but that will be unlikely as they are just nothing but hot air.

n1.png
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve heard there hasn’t been a court case for something like this in over a decade, so is it truly ok just to ignore them. After checking some other forums on here, I’ve yet to see civil claims do anything beyond empty threats. So if this is the case is it truly safe to ignore it and work on my studies?

Comment

The standard advice on this and other forums is to ignore them and they go away.
              If that advice was incorrect I am sure someone would have popped up and told us they had been to court (and with a proper defence have won)

The last time they tried court was a disaster for the retailer.
              Search for the "oxford case" for full details or click here judgment in the case A Retailer v Ms B & Ms K .

Comment

Got it, the only concern I have now is if someone will turn up at my front door, they mentioned something about Bailiffs. Was that all just to scare me too? The shop was Poundland by the way

Comment

It is all scare tactics

Relax and get on with your studies

Comment

Thanks a lot, I’ll do that

so ignore ignore and ignore some more!

Comment

One last thing that’s crossed my mind, do Poundland do ccj?

Comment

Only a court can issue a CCJ (county court judgment)
                        Poundland would need to file a claim with the court, who then issue a form as in post 5.

Comment

Is that likely though, I just want to move on from the incident without being charged a ridiculous cost and certainly don’t want to go to court for it. Is it likely they’ll just drop it after the letters like they do in other cases. I’m sorry to keep hassling you with questions I’m just panicky. It’s because most people don’t post about their situations after the letters so I’m unsure if they payed anything or civil recovery dropped it.

Comment

Poundland aren't going to make a civil recovery claim through the courts, if only because it would cost them more than they could recover.

I think Poundland pass these incidents to "Civil Recovery Solutions", who will send you a number of letters requesting payment of a large sum of money.
                            These will include threats of court action, but are full of "may" & "might" & "our client is considering".
                            Just ignore them
                            ​​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks, you’ve put me at ease, I’ll let you know about the situation once I get the letter if or when they send one, have a good evening

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X