• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refusing to change card details but threatens if I don't pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing to change card details but threatens if I don't pay

Hi all,

I singed up for an online service (big mistake) and payed with my card in GBP. About six months ago I have deleted my account. At a time I was told there will be another payment charged to my card. Payment never came and I forgot about it.

In October, I changed my card so the old one no longer works. The company now woke up and remembered that they still need to charge me, they tried to charge my old card which didn't work. I offered them my new card details, but since the account doesn't exist anymore, they are saying "you cannot use your card to update your payment method" and that I should make a bank transfer or use PayPal. I tried PayPal, but their account is in USD (Not GBP, that I used before) and PayPal doesn't let me use my UK card. Not sure why.

Now they are threatening me with a "debt collection agency" or "legal action". Is this something I should be worried about? I have all the emails where I have offered to update my card details and screenshots of PayPal not accepting my UK card.

Thanks,
    Dom
    Tags: None

Have you explained the problem and asked them to suggest other means by which you can pay? Or have you contacted PayPal to find a way they can make this work?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

PayPal said: "I see that things look good on your end however since cards are not appearing, I would suggest you try funding payments via different source or contact the recipient directly <…> It is possible that seller has trouble completing payments however you should give this a try with a different cards or outside PayPal"

The online service offered bank transfer as a method, but at this point I don't trust them. If they asked for bank transfer as a payment to start with, I would have never signed up without a buyers protections. Maybe silly, but with PayPal/credit card I can at least have instant verification and don't need to chase them to make sure all of this is sorted.

Comment

I would trust paypal way less than bank transfer!

Comment

islandgirl I trust my bank, I don't trust the company in question to do a proper accounting for it. I left out part of the problem. They initially sent me an invoice for 60 GBP. I thought it wasn't right and emailed them to double check. New invoice comes in for 120 USD. It looks close, but why USD. So I email them again to finally get a correct(?) amount in GBP.

I don't want to make a bank transfer for them to "not receive it". With PayPal or a credit card, I can atleast do a charge back if they **** up again.

​​​​​​​Talking to their customer support it like talking to a 5 year old. All they do is send the same template emails over and over again.

Comment

£60 is of course nowhere near 120 dollars! I would be tempted to write to them and say that I am willing to pay the £60 (if this is what you owe) and will do by bank transfer as soon as they acknowledge the amount. Once they do, pay it. You will have proof of payment - your bank records - put the invoice number as the ref and even if they try to take it any further they would have nowhere to go with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X