• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Obstruction of my Right of Way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obstruction of my Right of Way.

I own and live in a mid terrace house. My neighbour’s house and mine share a common, covered entrance passageway running from the front gardens to the back garden gates of both houses. Three years ago, my neighbour persuaded me to pay half towards installing a “Security Gate” at the front garden entrance to the passageway and we both have a key to the gate lock.
    Since installation of this gate my neighbour has used the passageway most days as a covered kennel for three dogs. No mention was made of this use of the passageway when she suggested installing a “Security Gate.” Her three dogs are a constant nuisance, blocking my right of way and fouling the passage way with excrement and urine. I can only use the passageway (e.g moving bins, wheeling lawnmower from back lawn to front lawn) if I ask the neighbour to move the dogs every time.
    The deeds to my house (“Rights and Easements included in the Conveyance”) state that, as regards the passageway, my neighbour and I have “A right of way from time to time and at all times hereafter by day or night and for all purposes connected with the use and enjoyment of the property hereby conveyed but not for any other purpose whatsoever.”
    Hence my neighbour is obstructing my right of way and I assume that the “rights and easements” as worded above mean that she is not allowed to use the passageway as a covered kennel for her three dogs. Over the past twelve months I have spoken to her three times to resolve this problem but she refuses to listen.
    Am I allowed to unilaterally remove this gate and refund the neighbour half the cost of the gate?
    If not, how can I resolve this without spending a fortune on solicitors? I am a 68 year old spinster pensioner, living alone, on Guaranteed Pension Credit and PIP benefits.
    Tags: None

Your neighbour is being unreasonable, and should stop this and make better arrangements for her dogs.

Check your deeds. You will (likely) each own half of the passageway. If so, then the dogs will be trespassing on your land.

Above all, try to get some arrangement which does not aggravate things further netween you.

What did she do with the dogs before the gate was installed?

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      Your neighbour is being unreasonable, and should stop this and make better arrangements for her dogs.

Check your deeds. You will (likely) each own half of the passageway. If so, then the dogs will be trespassing on your land.

Above all, try to get some arrangement which does not aggravate things further netween you.

What did she do with the dogs before the gate was installed?
      (1) Thank you for your feedback. Our deeds clearly state that the passageway (ground thereunder) is not conveyed to me or my neighbour. Neither of us owns the space. The deeds merely grant each of us a Right of Way at all times and forbids us to use it "for any other purpose whatever."
      (2) Before the passageway gate was installed the neighbour kept her dogs locked in her back garden. Now she keeps that gate open and chases them into the passage every day, where they stay, using it as a covered kennel.
      (3) The only solution I can see is to remove the gate at the entrance to the passage.

Comment

I see a problem with it being your neighbour and disputes can be a significant stress. However, your rights must be respected.
        Can you contact AGE UK for help ?
        Possibly a letter informing her that she is not abiding by her deeds. If she does not remove gate and make other arrangements for her dogs,you will arrange to have the gates removed.
        Do stress you want to have good relations but you cannot allow this situation to continue.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X