• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discrimination when applying for a job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination when applying for a job

Hello everybody.

Last year I applied for a position within my current company. Office person, non managerial level.
    I was unsuccessful. The reason I was, because the person who was hired is a sister of the manager of that particular department. That is not the end of the story.
    She was only working for a few months, as a packer/processor, when without any official job announcement, she was just taken to the office and started doing the job I applied for few months later. No wonder, that I was unsuccessful in the end.
    It had been a common knowledge, before she was officially appointed to the position I applied for, that she will get it.
    To top it all off, one of my interviewees, asked during the interview: "Will you be interested in any future positions in our department?" I think that said it all.
    I haven't spoken to anybody in HR regarding that, as I assumed, it will not change anything. Also, I was just plainly afraid that managers will retaliate against my actions.
    My question is, do I have the case? I feel cheated.
    Do you know any good no win, no fee solicitors?
    Aston solicitors in Northampton want a fee for a initial consultation. Tan Law in Coventry will not take it on no win, no fee basis.

Tags: None

From what you have said, unless you can prove discrimination on the basis of one of the protected characteristics (age, disability, gender reassignment
    marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation) then you would not have a claim. However, I strongly suggest these would not be factors for an internal candidate. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have heard/read about jobs being given to family members over other internal/external candidates.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you check if the company has a recruitment policy, albeit that will probaby say they will advertise all vacancies internally and if there is not an appropriate candidate they will then recruit externally. Which they have effectively done.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Sean7651 View Post
      To top it all off, one of my interviewees, asked during the interview: "Will you be interested in any future positions in our department?" I think that said it all.
      What is the "all" that you think that said?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
        From what you have said, unless you can prove discrimination on the basis of one of the protected characteristics (age, disability, gender reassignment
        marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation) then you would not have a claim. However, I strongly suggest these would not be factors for an internal candidate. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have heard/read about jobs being given to family members over other internal/external candidates.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you check if the company has a recruitment policy, albeit that will probaby say they will advertise all vacancies internally and if there is not an appropriate candidate they will then recruit externally. Which they have effectively done.
        Hi Ula.
        Thank you for a reply.
        Small correction. They hired her internally. Initially she had been working manually as an order processor/packer. After two months she was taken to the office without any official job announcement. Worked there for a month ( I believe she during that time she was being prepared for that job I applied for as well) .In the end, she was a successful candidate for that officially announced office position.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          What is the "all" that you think that said?
          Hi Atticus. Thanks for a reply.
          That I should not have bothered with applying, as the office managers, including sister of the newly hired, decided not in my favour.

Comment

Nepotism may or may not have taken place. You may have good reason to suspect it, but you have not established it.
            Even if you had, nepotism is not discrimination in law, and you have no claim.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
              Nepotism may or may not have taken place. You may have good reason to suspect it, but you have not established it.
              Even if you had, nepotism is not discrimination in law, and you have no claim.
              Hi. Thank you very much for a reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X