• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcing property sale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing property sale?

My sister and partner owned a house as tenants in common. She died in 2007 and left her 50% share to me. Her partner continued to live alone in the property until he went to live in a care home eight years ago. He recently died leaving his 50% share to one of his sons. I have been trying to get him to agree to selling the property which has been empty for eight years but he does not reply to letters. Is the only action I can take an enforcement of sale via the Courts? What are the likely costs? Thank you
    Tags: None

Could it be that the son may not be well or also in care? Have you tried to find out if he has in fact received your communications and if he is able to reply. Before you could take any action through the courts, you would need to show that you have tried all avenues to make contact, so do get in touch with other members of the family to find out why he is not responding.

The fact that he has a 50% share of the property should prompt him to wish to deal with it even if that was to pass his interest to others.
    Last edited by Sam101; 3rd May 2022, 08:31:AM.

Comment

It does appear that you may have to take court action to get an order requiring the property to be sold. This would be under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.

As to likely cost, speak to reputable local solicitors and ask for estimates. I would say, however, that costs in litigation can be difficult to predict, not least because you cannot control how the other party goes about things.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies. You are right (SAM101) in that I need to make a verified contact. I only know his home address and two letters have remained unanswered. However, I do have a possible lead on his phone number which I will follow up.

Atticus: I have made enquiries to one solicitor and he is asking for £600 just to review the case and give an estimate!

I have been thinking of applying to Court myself because the case, to me, sounds straightforward but I'm struggling to find the correct procedures. Are there any leaflets,books etc. available that I could peruse? The internet does not appear to be of much use in this respect.

Comment

Jeru, please do not start anything legal at this stage, it is fat too early. When you do need to go along that route, it it is needed, then the first step would be to arrange n no fee initial meeting with a solicitor to discuss the matter and enquire about costs. Most reputable solicitors will agree to an initial meeting, possibly half an hour, but by that time, you nee to have made all the enquiries about the brother. Can you ask other members of your family who may know of him?

Whatever the brothers location, do you know any of the relatives, as that is a way forward. Can you get someone to contact the neighbours of your brother or ask the local police if they can help. Also consider Age Concern, as they may have someone local who can check up for you. Offer to cover any travel costs they may have, but you need to find the brother otherwise if the solicitors need to do this, it will cost a great deal of money.

Rushing into legal action is never a good thing until you have done your homework as far as possible.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X