• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inadequate care of public footpath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inadequate care of public footpath

There is a footpath behind my house, it borders a small river, despite being in an urban setting the council have refused to place a waste bin although they have placed a bench, a long section of the river bank adjoining the path is completely overgrown and has for years been used for dumping garden waste, even the council's contractors have dumped waste there from time to time. There is an increasing problem of vermin as the overgrown waste filled area makes a perfect nesting ground, I feel that while the river and path at the back of the house are or could be points in favour for a prospective buyer the vermin and rubbish are detrimental to the area. Is there any action that can be taken against a local authority in such cases?
    Tags: None

Do you know who owns the land?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I think it is the City Council, I am not sure though, I do know that prior to the demolition of the old houses/buildings (1970s) the gardens of the houses went down to the river's edge, after this the housing trust built our homes, some to rent and some affordable (help to buy) so it must be at that time that it was decided to put a path (where there was never a path before), they have tried to make it appear to be part of the Itchen Way footpath but it is not marked on the OS as such and most people who try to follow it get lost because it does not connect with the rest of the path.

Comment

If you go to your local authority website you might be able to find a map showing all the land they own. If it's anything like our LA's website, sometimes it's easier just to do a Google search eg "map land owned by x council "

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X