• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor on hols - is it in order to contact the opposing party's solicitor direct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor on hols - is it in order to contact the opposing party's solicitor direct?

I sent a draft email to our solicitor on Monday that needed to be sent urgently to the other party's solicitor, and have been chasing him all week to see if it has been forwarded. I discovered this morning from phoning his secretary that he is on holiday until the 19 April, but no 'out of office' message was received to my emails. In the circumstances, is it in order for me to send the email direct explaining the position? Thanking you in advance.
    Tags: None

You can try, but don't expect a response. Solicitor Code of Conduct says they should not be corresponding with someone where they are aware that they are legally represented.

Suggest you get back on the phone to the law firm and get someone to confirm whether that email was in fact sent, particularly if it was urgent. If there are any consequences for not sending the email then remind them politely that you will be holding the solicitor and the firm responsible if you suffer any losses or expenses as a result of the email not being sent. If you don't get anywhere with that then you may want to consider making a formal complaint and asking for the complaints procedure.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It is normal that someone should be covering your solicitor's work and monitoring their emails whilst they are on holiday and at least dealing with urgent matters that will not wait until their return. In this situation that should have happened.

rob as set out exactly what you need to do.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        You can try, but don't expect a response. Solicitor Code of Conduct says they should not be corresponding with someone where they are aware that they are legally represented.

Suggest you get back on the phone to the law firm and get someone to confirm whether that email was in fact sent, particularly if it was urgent. If there are any consequences for not sending the email then remind them politely that you will be holding the solicitor and the firm responsible if you suffer any losses or expenses as a result of the email not being sent. If you don't get anywhere with that then you may want to consider making a formal complaint and asking for the complaints procedure.
        Thank you very much for your comments. I don't think I have explained myself clearly. I was thinking of sending the email to the Claimant's legal representative, not directly to the Claimant. Would that still be unacceptable?

Comment

I think everyone who replied understood perfectly what you meant by the opposing party's solicitor. You have been given good advice!
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
            It is normal that someone should be covering your solicitor's work and monitoring their emails whilst they are on holiday and at least dealing with urgent matters that will not wait until their return. In this situation that should have happened.

rob as set out exactly what you need to do.
            Thank you for your prompt reply. I have been on to our solicitor's secretary and she says she has passed my emails to another solicitor in the practice. Hopefully, someone will get back to me, but if not I think I am going to have to take a chance and send the email to the Claimant's legal representative as my concern is that we will be accused of holding matters up if nothing gets done until our solicitor gets back from holiday.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X