• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim against a garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim against a garage

Hi

Just joined as I am in the process of writing a letter before action to garage ,I had restoration work done on my vehicle which has failed after a year , I have made a complaint direct to the garage ,initially they told me they would contact the company that provided the items used but since January when they said they no longer wish to do any work for me , I heard nothing more whether it was their failure or the products they used that failed ,they also failed to respond to my first letter asking for the outcome of the report and if they would be willing to take part in an adr .
    my problem is how do I know how much to tell them I wish to claim for ,obviously they have already said they would not be willing to do any further work ,so getting them to do a repeat performance isn’t going to happen , and now I wouldn’t really trust them to especially after being told the work would be good for many years.
    the invoices are not broken down into sections it is like materials and labour are all included under just labour ,obviously I have some parts that were replaced which are on the vehicle but it is the work done on them that has failed ,so how am I to work out the amount I will be claiming ,or would you just claim for the whole invoice ?
    I doubt I will get a response to this letter before action as they ignored my first which was sent signed for ,and shown as delivered .
    I have been told my another garage I will need to have all the work redone before this winter comes and I already paid approx £5000 , so I don’t feel it fair I should be out of pocket and have to pay this out again , I see it would cost me around 250 to do a money claim ,I just don’t know how successful that would likely be
    Tags: None

Without giving too much away. What replacement parts are listed in the repair, if known genuine parts or copy parts ?, what exactly was involved in the repair, what time was spent,£5,000 is a lot of time and repair that is unless you had a complete engine overhaul or other major faults such as the body.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
      Without giving too much away. What replacement parts are listed in the repair, if known genuine parts or copy parts ?, what exactly was involved in the repair, what time was spent,£5,000 is a lot of time and repair that is unless you had a complete engine overhaul or other major faults such as the body.
      it had new chassis rails, was told they came from Japan ,so was time spent removing those measuring the chassis was still straight ,refitting removing corrosion and then apparently a 3 coat system of chemicals ,they had the vehicle for almost a year from January 2020 til around December the same year , the only parts listed was the chassis rails which were around £1000 , everything else just came under one listing

also I was sent photos of the rails when they arrived and they did appear to have the manufacturers part numbers on ,so I assume they were original

Comment

I know chassis rails are expensive, Had to change one on a commercial once, but from memory that took two to three days at most once we got the part, also watched Edd and Brewer change on a car but for the life of me I cannot remember the cost, and so to me, that seems excessive, but garages are a law to themselves.

Comment

Castle rails fior my MGB are round the £100 mark.
          I know 'cos I just bought rail and sills to replace them next week (hopefully!)
          Allowing 4 days to replace (including tea & beer breaks and walking dog!)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            Castle rails fior my MGB are round the £100 mark.
            I know 'cos I just bought rail and sills to replace them next week (hopefully!)
            Allowing 4 days to replace (including tea & beer breaks and walking dog!)
            the ones for my evo 6 from what I’ve researched cost £1,100 per side from a supplier ,although I wasn’t charged that much for both sides ,whether they were cheaper coming from Mitsubishi in Japan I haven’t a clue.
            im in a quandary what to do now as the garage replied to me ,just think I’m gonna have to suck it up and accept I lost 5k ,and will have to get everything done again , they said they told me x,y and z verbally which I know I was never told ,like that I’d need to have it done every year etc , and have offered to redo it ,but I don’t trust them to do it now and they have said they will not reimburse if I get it redone elsewhere , so I guess legally I have no choice , I haven’t posted the whole story here as I asked advice on a forum previous and it appears someone knew who had done the work and decided to show the garage my post although I never mentioned any business name .
            I was told by a solicitor it would cost me 260 for an hour ,but I don’t know what to do anymore now as don’t want to waste any more money to be told I have to let the garage do it

Comment

Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 4 Services Sec 49 requires services to be performed with reasonable care and skill.

You believe the work carried out was substandard (post 1 "it is the work done on them that has failed")

Your remedies are either (sec 55) repeat performance or (sec 56) price reduction.
              There are other additional remedies such as claiming damages available to you

You might not have to let the garage do the work, as they have already declined to do further work for you (post 1) altho' now they offer to redo it (post 6),and in any case that remedial work needs to be done "within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to" you..

It is your choice which remedy you chose to pursue, even through the courts if you want.
              If you let them redo the work have it checked by an independent engineer when completed

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 4 Services Sec 49 requires services to be performed with reasonable care and skill.

You believe the work carried out was substandard (post 1 "it is the work done on them that has failed")

Your remedies are either (sec 55) repeat performance or (sec 56) price reduction.
                There are other additional remedies such as claiming damages available to you

You might not have to let the garage do the work, as they have already declined to do further work for you (post 1) altho' now they offer to redo it (post 6),and in any case that remedial work needs to be done "within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to" you..

It is your choice which remedy you chose to pursue, even through the courts if you want.
                If you let them redo the work have it checked by an independent engineer when completed
                I wonder if this has gone past redemption ?. I wonder if a phone call to the Garage owner politely ask him if they will take the car back for the parts to be replaced and labour at a reduced cost,(we have done that in the past with the main agent where they did not complete the repair satisfactory). As stated If you let them redo the work have it checked by an independent engineer when the job is underway / completed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X