• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Token Payments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Token Payments

Hi there, thank you for accepting me on the forum. I have been making token payments of £1 to various debt collectors for over 10 years now. These debts mounted up to around 20k near on 20 years ago. They were overdrafts, bank loans and store cards. I wasn't working at that time and always declared I was only in receipt of benefits and sadly these debts occurred when I was often in a mania phase of my then undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder. I was living alone and the debt I believe all defaulted and was sold on. After taking advice many years ago I set up 8 standing orders to the debtors of a token payment which they accepted. When letters arrived to review this I always responded by phone. However, I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed with their constant advice to contact debt advice. I am now married but my financial situation isn't good due to my illness and not being able to work. I have explained the situation to everyone and just want to carry on with my standing orders of this payment. I would hate to have to go down the insolvency route and know my husband would not be happy either. Can I just continue with my standing orders? And would you advise me to only contact these companies in writing as the conversations do exasperate my illness. They do not have any phone numbers for me despite trying to obtain them. I have particularly felt a little from Drysdensfairfax wanting to know my husbands income. I told them that is none of their business as these debts are mine which they did agree on. Could you advise me please? Thank you.

​​​​​​
    Tags: None

Celestine

Comment

Hi and welcome to LegalBeagles.

I am not surprised you are finding this situation unbearable. The danger of token payments is that they can prolong the misery of dealing with debts and the accounts will never become time barred.

If your financial situation has not improved since the agreement was set up, I am not sure what they are expecting you to do. You pay your creditors direct? If so, you could consider re-doing your debt management plan via Stepchange or Payplan. They will then act as a buffer between you and your creditors. They may also recommend a different route like DRO or IVA. With DRO the debts could be wiped within 1 year and with IVA - 5 years. I suspect your creditors may prefer to deal with a debt management charity because then they will understand more formally that there is little you can do. These may not be possible if you own a home or car worth over 2k, but still worth a chat with the debt charities. Do NOT speak to any companies which charge you to 'wipe/manage debts' even if it seems free, it will not be and could result in far worse issues.

Depending on how old the debts are you could send off CCA requests to explore whether they are enforceable, but this is not always an easy route and you would need to research the possibility of ceasing the token payments (if the CCA's are not complied with) and seeing how the creditors react.

Keep us posted on what you want to do and try not to let this wear you down, we're all here to support you and you're in very good company.

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I pay by standing order. I only rent my home and my husband owns our second hand car. To be fair it is mainly Drysden Fairfax stressing me out as the others are really understanding and have placed my case with their sensitive support team. I am going to speak with CAB as I am wondering if these debts could be written off as I was given the original credit at a time when I was in and out of sections in the hospital. I declared I was on DLA and on reflection wonder how I was allowed to accrue such debt! Obviously it was my mania state that caused my erratic spending. I wasn't aware I had Bipolar Disorder until 2002 after the debts were taken on. (They are over 20 years old. The token payments started in 2012 I have not had any debt since and my priority bills are all in credit thanks to my husband overseeing my spending. I just get so exasperated when they start asking about the household income. My husband should be retired but works part time to keep our heads above the water. These are my debts and all prior to meeting him in 2003. It's so overwhelming but I will get some help. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X