• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can unknown Trustees claim my property ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can unknown Trustees claim my property ?

Hi,

I'm trying to buy a house (Freehold) and one of the covenants(?) in the last conveyance (dated 1977) gives me some concern:

"It is hereby declares that the Purchasers or other the Trustees for the time being of this deed shall have full power until the expiration of eighty years from the date hereof (which period shall be the perpetuity period applicable hereto) to mortgage charge lease or otherwise dispose of all or any part of the said property with all the powers in that behalf of an absolute owner."

What is the purpose of such a declaration ?

The 'Trustees' is not defined in the conveyance. Is it possible that there are unknown Trustees ? And does this clause enable them to claim the property at any time up to 2057 ?

Moreover, the property is being sold by the daughter of the owner (who is still alive) as an Attorney and wants to sell the house with Limited Title Guarantee. The daughter lived in the house for many years and knows both the house (and her mother) well. Might this clause be why she will only well with Limited Guarantee ?

FYI: The property was registered by the daughter a few years ago name her mother as the sole proprietor with Title Absolute.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Many Trusts have such wording in them, but nothing to worry about in selling the property. It was therte so that whilst the property may have been held in Trust at one time, the Trustees had permission to act in a certain way. Trustees need authority to undertake certain actions, which are usually clarified in the Will in this way.

When the property is sold, the solicitors dealing with the conveyance will check that all is in order for the buyers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X