• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Making a claim against cowboy builders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a claim against cowboy builders

Hi,

I recently had some work done on my house and I'm feeling a bit hopeless! Initially, I just wanted the large window in my kitchen removed and replaced with patio doors. I asked on a local Facebook site and was recommended a door and window company. The guys came to give me a free no-obligation quote and while they were here asked what other work we wanted doing (the kitchen was in a bit of a state and I was planning to have the place gutted as well as some structural work). They told me that they were a family run business and said 'we can do everything' so I figured I could save myself some money by having one company do the whole job rather than individuals coming in to do odd jobs e.g. tiler, plumber, electrician etc.

They quoted for everything, gave me a cost breakdown, so I opted against the patio door for the moment as I couldn't afford everything at once. I received the quote in September last year and work didn't commence until the middle of November as they had overbooked or had other excuses as to why they couldn't start. I was chasing them through October as they had promised to have the work finished before Christmas - I first contacted them in August. I suggested starting work in the new year instead but they assured me it would be completed on time.

Fast forward to today, the kitchen is still unfinished and the quality of work thus far is substandard. They actually admitted that they had 'massively under-quoted' for the job and I believe this is why the remaining work has been bodged. I have been paying them weekly for labour and materials, cash in hand but they have invoiced me (via email) and listed 'N/A' as the tax amount - they are not registered as a building company, only a doors and windows limited company.

The important things like the structural work - supporting wall taken out and RSJ installed - have been done properly as far as I can tell but I have been advised to have a professional surveyor take a look.

The following is what has been bodged and/or incompleted:

• The electrics, specifically plug sockets too close to the utility sink, do not comply with building regs and need to either be moved or replaced with IP65 sockets. The kitchen lights are dangling with all wires visible and the light switch has an exposed live wire that isn't connected.

• The plumbing has not been connected properly (they have used electrical tape in some areas!) so both kitchen and utility sinks are leaking. The water supply to the kitchen tap has been connected 'backwards' (hot = cold, cold = hot) and one of the guys said "Well, it won't matter as it's only the two of you".

• The gas hob is yet to be installed and we haven't had a hob since November when they gutted the kitchen. I don't believe them to be qualified gas engineers or electricians so do not want them returning to attempt to fit the hob or rectify the electrics!

• The worktops are yet to be installed so at the moment we have a lovely hybrid of chipboard and some of the preexisting worktops. I offered to order the worktops myself using an online company and could have them delivered next day but they said they would "sort it".

• The smaller kitchen window was removed when the RSJ was installed. We had no window and no radiator for a couple of weeks and the house was freezing. The window they finally installed has a large crack in one of the panes of glass and they have been saying "we'll replace it" since December. The rad is still not up and running.

• There was an area of missing floor tiles where the wall had been removed so I asked them to tile that section. Instead of chipping out tiles and following the pattern, they filled it in with 3 tiles and a large amount of grout instead of cutting another tile. The grout has already loosened and come away, one of the tiles now wobbles. When they were doing the floor I overheard this conversation...
    1: "Just crack on and stop worrying about it!"
    2: "I'm not worrying about it, I just want to do a nice job."
    1: "You're just trying to make a bodge job look okay."

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post - I wanted to get everything written down and describe in detail what has happened! I have paid £4k so far and owe £2-3k but they won't ask for the remainder until work is completed - I don't plan on giving them another penny.

I do not want these cowboys back on the property to attempt to rectify any of this as they are not registered builders. I believe them to be acting fraudulently and tax evading.

I have contacted my solicitor today to ask for advice and they suggested taking it up with my house insurance provider but it doesn't cover legal costs. Could someone please recommend a firm that would take this case, preferably no-win no-fee?

Tags: None

Hi YEEHAW

Have you checked your other insurance polices for legal expenses cover? Motor insurance etc.

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which states that work must be completed to a satisfactory standard and take a reasonable time to complete.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...y-of-a-service

What you need to do is get some quotes to (a) rectify the work that has been carried out and (b) the work that still needs completing. Then you will have a better idea of costs going forward and how to proceed regards legal action.

Have they done anything 'correctly'?

des8

Comment

Thanks for your response! The only thing they have done correctly is fit the back door and smaller kitchen window as that’s what they do by trade. I can’t comment on the RSJ installation but I mean the upper floor hasn’t collapsed so that’s something.

None of the other insurances I have will cover this. I have a meeting with my solicitor on the 22nd Feb but this consultation is expensive and I was hoping for a no-win, no-fee deal!

Comment

Originally posted by yeehaw View Post
        Thanks for your response! The only thing they have done correctly is fit the back door and smaller kitchen window as that’s what they do by trade. I can’t comment on the RSJ installation but I mean the upper floor hasn’t collapsed so that’s something.

None of the other insurances I have will cover this. I have a meeting with my solicitor on the 22nd Feb but this consultation is expensive and I was hoping for a no-win, no-fee deal!
        What you need to do is take pictures and video, document what they've done.
        At some point you might need to get a report done by an Expert Witness.

Wait for Des8 to give you some advice. Fitting the gas hob they would need to be registered by 'Gas Safe', you can check if they are registered here - https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ If they aren't don't let them touch it.

Comment

You mention insertion of an RSJ following removal of a load bearing wall by a "cowboy builder"

To start with I would contact local council building control dept and ask them to send round an inspector to ensure it is safe.
          Also get quotes to put right/finish the work as echat11

Have you checked their entry at Companies House to see if they have any assets?

​​​​​​​Is your initial consultation with the solicitor free (or for a fixed fee) to enable you know what alternative courses of action are open to you?

Conditional fee (no win no fee) might not be the best way forward.
          You should discuss with your solicitor the various ways to fund whatever action you might need to take.
          If your claim is going to be less than £10,000 you might not want to use a solicitor

Comment

The company nor business owner (the owner is the one I was told would be coming to fit the hob) are on the Gas Safe Register. The appointment with the solicitor will be £300 and they can’t guarantee it’s the only meeting we would need. My father recommended getting a professional surveyor in but this is going to incur more fees. We have been asking around for quotes to fix and finish the work. How much does a visit from a council building inspector cost?

Comment

I really think you need to have a plan, maybe hold off seeing the solicitor.

Call the Building Inspector, see if they can get Trading Standards involved.

At random, your Council will have similar information -

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/planning-a...ontrol-charges

https://www.jspubs.com/expert-witnes...ing-surveying/

Comment

The solicitor appointment isn’t until the 22nd Feb so I have time to cancel if there is more appropriate means of dealing with this. Thank you so much for those links - I have emailed the building inspector with an extensive list of issues and asked for an appointment with them to get a full report.

Comment

Originally posted by yeehaw View Post
                  The solicitor appointment isn’t until the 22nd Feb so I have time to cancel if there is more appropriate means of dealing with this. Thank you so much for those links - I have emailed the building inspector with an extensive list of issues and asked for an appointment with them to get a full report.
                  You can get 30 / 45 minutes free from some solicitors, just phone some up.
                  You will save yourself £300 for the same advice.

If you can get Trading Standards involved (them purporting to do Gas Safe work when not registered is a 'biggie', especially if they've done Gas work previously), then hopefully things become easier from there.

Check the builder's social media presence i.e. reviews, other peoples experiences etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X