• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on how to minimise inheritance tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on how to minimise inheritance tax

I’ve an elderly aunt who is 88 yrs of age. She has no children and, because she never married or had any partner, the inheritance tax allowance on her estate, I believe, will be £325000.
    The value of her estate (her house and savings in the bank) will be in excess of this figure.
    She understands that a large amount of inheritance tax will be paid on her death and is keen to reduce this amount.
    On my advice she has recently started to gift money in accordance with HMRC guidelines https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax. I’m aware that seven years must elapse for other gifts to be entirely free of inheritance tax.
    I have no expertise on taxation and I’d like to know if there are any additional ways by which she could reduce the inheritance tax, while staying within HMRC guidelines.
    She won’t be spending large amounts of money on herself.
    Tags: None

She would have a Residential allowance of £175,000 in addition to her Inheritance Tax allowance, so £500,000 before tax.

The gifting allowances can help reduce possible tax, but if her estate will be below the £500,000 allowances, then she can gift as much as she likes. The allowances are only if there is a tax liability.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      My aunt doesn’t have a direct descendent. Would this rule out the Residential allowance?

Comment

Sorry, that is correct and would not apply. Gifting is the route to go. That could include gifting on a regular basis of surplus income as long as it did not reduce her lifestyle. Gifts to charity would reduce the tax, but she could also gift larger amounts and it would be under the 7 year rule, but after 3 years, tapering relief may apply in which case the tax could be at a lower rate on those gifts

Comment

Thank you again for clearing this up. Gifting and making regular payments would reduce IHT on her savings in the bank. Is there anything that could be done with regards to her house to reduce IHT on her estate?

Comment

Not at this time, but with no relatives to benefit, there is little to worry about. Charitable gifts may appeal to her and would help.

Comment

Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X