• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Building work gone wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building work gone wrong

Someone on Facebook recommended a local company to me and following a look at their Facebook business page I decided to give them a call to arrange a view to quote.

Timeline:
    30th November - I was quoted and agreed £1250 kitchen installation + £100 for fitting some shelfs in a cupboard. I was requested to pay on completion and transfer the money to a personal bank account. I asked if was possible to pay with credit card but was told it is not possible.
    The job was estimated for 3-4 days and it was confirmed that someone will come to fit the kitchen, in his words “his uncle” that works for him. We discussed certain aspects on the phone call which later were confirmed in writing via WhatsApp messages, the most important being the price, his liability insurance and if the worktop is cut wrong, he agreed to replace and finish. There was no agreement or contract that was signed against or printed/emailed.

1st December - Before fitter arrived, I asked the company rep if he is fully up to speed with our conversation and it was confirmed that fitter “knows everything, he’s totally capable”

6th December -fitter arrived and started the work

7th December- I asked questions and plan of actions, including manufacturer instructions using the accessories provided. Fitter recommended another unapproved way. He strongly advised to go ahead with his proposal and he verbally guaranteed that if something was to happen, he will replace at his cost. Additionally, one item was not fitted properly and needed adjustment. I have also pointed this out the moment I saw it but was advised to review at a later point as he might be able to adjust the doors only. After he left that day, I researched online and asked few friends around for advice.

8th December- First thing in the morning, I have stated again that I want things to be done properly and expressed my position towards it. He then went to accuse me of insulting his work and experience. At the same time, he said that is “pissed off” that I had to go online to research and ask friends around when he is the expert with 20 years’ experience. He confirmed that doesn’t like constructive feedback, doesn’t take it very well. I was then asked to stop pointing stuff out, “let him go on with his work” and tell him at the end what is that I am not happy with.

8th December – At midday I have received a visit from the rep to inspect the progress of the work.
    I mentioned that I had a disagreement with the fitter and that fitter did not take it well. We discussed the same details as above and they both confirmed that their proposal is the best plan of action. Rep left shortly after and in the evening messaged me on Whatsapp asking if “all is good and if I am happy with everything”. This prompted me to highlight other items he did wrong which I was afraid to highlight to the fitter because of his reactions. On this day I took pictures and videos of anything I thought should be fixed without doing a full-on inspection, this was due after they would have finished the kitchen.

9th December- At 7am, I sent a list of pending items with pictures and videos as supporting documents to the Rep due to my concern that the fitter was not receiving feedback positively.
    I wanted to show proof of his unprofessional job and requested for these to be finalized by the end of the day. When the fitter arrived at 8.30am, I have also shared the same list with him and pointed things out to be remediated by the end of the day. I did not tell him that I shared with his boss too.
    On this morning I had an electrician doing some work and he requested to buy additional parts to fit the LED lights therefore I had to leave the house for 1h or so.
    I returned home around 12 and found the fitter carrying all his tools out saying he won’t finish the job anymore. He was visibly agitated and upset that I have sent evidence of his work in the morning to the person that hired him for the job - his boss.
    Before he left, he asked me to pay him £23 for some materials (timber) he purchased to fit the shelfs and I gave him cash £25. The fitter confirmed that the Rep had forwarded all images/videos and feedback to him and he took everything personal didn’t want to finish the job anymore.

9th December 11.36 I received a WhatsApp message from the Rep confirming that “he’s coming over”. I would like to point out that the Rep arrived from holiday in NY on the 8th and visited my flat on the 8th and 9th, breaking UK covid quarantine rules. The Rep confirmed that his uncle the fitter doesn’t want to finish the job, therefore I need to find a new builder to finalize. I offered for him to take the rest of the day off to refresh and get back second day to finish work. He categorically refused to finish any work in the flat. The rep immediately offered me to keep £350 as a one-day rate for the new builder to finalize the work and to transfer him £1000. I mentioned that without getting a quote from a new builder I would not be in a position to confirm the exact amount to be paid to him. We then verbally agreed that I will have to look for a new builder, get a quote and pay him the difference and he left the flat together with the fitter.

10th December- Rep messaged me on Whatsapp asking if I found a new contractor and if not, he can send me one he found but it will require a payment in advance of £1000 in order for him to action it. I messaged back, reiterating what was agreed at the flat, that I will be finding someone to complete unfinished work, redo anything that has not been done to the expected standard, and clean-up. I also stated that I only have 1350 to spend on this kitchen so once I know how much I’m going to be charged for the remaining work, I will be in a position to pay him the difference. It's a lot of hassle for me to do this, especially at this time of the year, but was best way forward. I confirmed that I will be away the coming week due to planned holiday so not sure how long all this will take.

10th December 14:32- Rep messaged me saying he spoke to his sister who is a solicitor and he is planning to go to claims court if the payment is not complete within 1 week. He also added that he spoke to the materials company and the property manager about this.

11th December -During the weekend, I had to delay my plans and decided to make lots of phone calls / emails to look for a new builder so I could have a peaceful Christmas. I also emailed the material company asking purely for a price on three items that the fitter damaged in the kitchen. Despite multiple follow ups on emails, they did not answer. Totally out of character.

13th December 8:42 am – Rep messaged me via Whatsapp and text requesting my personal information. I did not respond to his message.

13th December 16:34 – I called the materials company regarding the email I sent and requested to confirm prices over the phone using the same company that I purchased the good in the first place. The material company said they spoke to someone with the same name as the Rep and unfortunately, I am not allowed to use the account as I have a balance with them.
    For clarity, all goods I purchased with a different account are paid in full (cash) a few weeks back. These two companies are not related and the Rep did not work for the company I purchased material through. This incident led me to believe that the Rep called the material company and pretended to be the original company I bought material through. The materials company failed to do confirm the Reps identity and added his contact details on the account as “contact on the account”. Would this be identity theft?
    Furthermore, the materials company gave him more of my personal details.

14th December 9:06 am- I got a Whatsapp and text message from the Rep, referencing me using my full name which he did not have before. He claimed that I tried to use his account which he considers to be a “fraud” and he is under the impression that I am looking to get more work done by another builder without the intention of paying him. He also added “if you want to go down this route and play games and ignore my messages then myself can also play the game”
    Just for clarity, the Rep never provided his account for purchasing materials from the materials company, his postcode nor his legal company name in order to be able to identify his account and for me to confirm he is operating legally. This is a complete fabrication trying to use his account when was never provided in the first place. I did not respond to his message.

14th December 16:06- The Rep sent me a picture via Whatsapp showing my apartment from the outside. The picture is taken from the courtyard. He trespassed through private locked doors to get into private land. In his words he said “So you are home and have had work done today in the property added to the case notes. Trust me, I will be at your property every day building a case against you, I’ve seen you twice today so I know your there. Seen your car that you’ve taken <the fitter> in when you drove to <the material company>. Your playing a very silly game.” I did not respond to his messages.
    For clarity, I did not have any work done on the Kitchen.
    At 2pm I had a new builder coming over to inspect in order to quote for finishing and remediating the work done by the fitter. He pointed out lots of faults and currently I am waiting for an official quote based on his findings. He estimated a rough quote verbally which will include replacing and refitting of multiple high value items. Judging by the rough figures the new builder provided, doesn’t look like there will be a difference to pay to the Rep. Moreover, I will have to pay additional money to finish the original job. Final amount to be confirmed by official quote via email.

15th December 11:43 am – The Rep messaged me via Whatsapp to confirm that “he’s giving me one last chance” before he will submit his claim. He also stated that he will request me to pay for court fees as well as “loss of earnings due to stress caused by not paying before Christmas”. He also sent a picture from the website showing court fees. I did not respond to his messages.

I have notified my place of work about this situation and that I am afraid to leave the house as well as the property Management company including the concierge. This has a huge impact on my mental health as I never been in this situation and am genuinely afraid. I have been advised by the all three to report the incident to the police as this is classified as harassment / intimidation.

I would like to understand how I should proceed, as I find it highly unfair to have to pay for work that needs to be gutted out and done again forcing me to pay for the same kitchen twice. I am petrified of talking to this man and scared to leave the house to even get essentials.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Have you paid upfront or is it still payment on completion of the work to your satisfaction?

Do they have a key to your property? How much has it cost you to date?

Comment

No payment made yet, Payment is on completion of the work to my satisfaction as agreed. They don't have a key.

Comment

The 'harassment and intimidation' needs to be reported to the police.
        Then he needs to be made aware that the police are involved.
        Regardless of the situation, threatening behavior isn't on.
        Is the boss a member of any guilds or associations?
        You could consider sending him a letter requesting 'mediation' to help resolve the matter. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://www.fmb.org.uk/find-a-builde...esolution.html

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...e-a-problem-s/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X