• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with a Builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with a Builder

Hi, any advice regarding my position with the following would be gratefully received;
    Engaged a builder in May 2021.
    Works scheduled to commence 14th June
    Works due to be completed four weeks thereafter.
    Delay in commencement of works with works beginning 5th July 2021.
    Extremely slow progress on the job.
    Works still incomplete as of the week ending 3rd September 2021.
    Works that have been undertaken are of generally poor quality.
    At this stage the builder left the job with no prior discussion or agreement and has not returned to the job since 3rd September 2021.
    After various messages and phone-calls, suggested that he would return 27th September.
    n the 26th September suggested that he had not agreed to return 27th and instead would return 4th October.
    Has now been in contact to say that he will not be able to recommence works on the 4th.
    No explanation for absence given at any stage.
    Payments have been made as per the agreed payment schedule. Works are not commensurate with payments made.
    Clearly I have significant concerns about his willingness and ability to complete the job.
    At this stage how am I best proceeding?
    Many Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi MATTPOKCM

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, The builder should have completed the work with reasonable skill and care.
    The materials should be satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose. You've had a schedule and kept a record of deadlines set. Tell the builder that if he fails to complete the work, you will get another builder to complete the work and you will be claiming the costs back from him (do this in writing, keep Proof of Postage). Get several estimates from competent builders, do research, reviews, go see their work. Attach the estimate chosen to the letter.

Here is a template you can amend. I'd add as much detail as possible. I fear the cost of materials going up could be the issue.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-quality-work/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X