• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent legal advice please

Collapse
Loading...
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Urgent legal advice please

    Hi, I am in bits. I have 3 children and a decent job, I recently met a new partner. After a month I allowed them to stay over and have a drink. I fell asleep on the sofa, I was woken by the police manhandling me. Turns out my new partner stole my car keys and went joyriding and was chased by the police. He dumped the car back, posted the keys and done a runner. He is now not contactable. I was arrested and breathalyser and have been charged. My children have been put into temporary care as they said I left them home alone and went drink joyriding! I have been frantically getting cctv from nearby shops, the images aren't clear. A neighbour has told me today they seen a man getting out my car, posting the keys and jumping over a wall. I phoned the police but they don't care. They said I have already been charged! They did not take my car for forensics or speak to anybody. I am black and blue from them and have given the guys name and everything I can
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi ROBINRYAN

    Try not to worry, you need to contact a criminal solicitor that can take your case on pro-bono, help you navigate this situation. Your solicitor then needs to get a written statement from your witness. You could also contact victim support to get some further advice.

    https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/

    Comment


    • #3
      I would suggest you engage the services of a criminal defence investigator, you can find one here https://www.theabi.org.uk/

      Comment


      • #4
        GO AND SEE A SOLICITOR TODAY. The police will have to prove you were driving. I have heard cases where people claimed not to be driving even theough they were found parked and in the drivers seat. The burden of proof is on the CPS. What have you been charged with exactly? They have to have told you.

        Comment


        • #5
          I was charged that day under section 5 of the road traffic act 1988 (being in charge of a vehicle whilst drunk etc) seperate charge of dangerous driving and the worst one of all neglecting a child/children under the children and young persons act 1933.

          I did not do any of these things. My children are absolutely hysterical as we have never been apart. The police and social services had an emergency meeting whilst I was locked up.

          I have contacted a solicitor who cannot understand how and why I was charged so quickly, he believes the tactics have been very rushed, he has taken a statement from the neighbour (which he believes the police should have done) and is confused as to why the car was not impounded for forensic testing. I was also not given a chance to have representation at the meeting. I am so upset at how this is being dealt with. I feel absolutely bullied and tormented

          Comment


          • #6
            This sounds awful. Your solicitor should act to sort this out. So you must have been charged with drink driving (not "in charge") if they say it was you driving. I assume you gave the police the identity of the driver? Child neglect is strange here and I am so sorry they have been taken.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Robinryan View Post
              I was charged that day under section 5 of the road traffic act 1988 (being in charge of a vehicle whilst drunk etc) seperate charge of dangerous driving and the worst one of all neglecting a child/children under the children and young persons act 1933.

              I did not do any of these things. My children are absolutely hysterical as we have never been apart. The police and social services had an emergency meeting whilst I was locked up.

              I have contacted a solicitor who cannot understand how and why I was charged so quickly, he believes the tactics have been very rushed, he has taken a statement from the neighbour (which he believes the police should have done) and is confused as to why the car was not impounded for forensic testing. I was also not given a chance to have representation at the meeting. I am so upset at how this is being dealt with. I feel absolutely bullied and tormented
              Stay calm and focused, you can deal with your treatment at a later stage. Keep detailed notes of everything that happened, that will do two things, jog your memory later if you decide to complain, it will also stop you constantly thinking about it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you everyone, yes I have given the name and details, they did nothing. My solicitor is now pursuing it. I have been contacted by a family member of there's who told me I had to say this and that!! I hung up and informed my solicitor of this too. My shock and despair has now turned to anger. I feel like this is something you would see on an itv drama! I am trying to stay calm but it feels like my heart has been torn out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Robinryan View Post
                  Thank you everyone, yes I have given the name and details, they did nothing. My solicitor is now pursuing it. I have been contacted by a family member of there's who told me I had to say this and that!! I hung up and informed my solicitor of this too. My shock and despair has now turned to anger. I feel like this is something you would see on an itv drama! I am trying to stay calm but it feels like my heart has been torn out.
                  Have you contacted Victim Support? - https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
                  In some areas they provide online chat, they can support you.
                  If you get any more calls, record if you the technology to record.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Will they still help if I am being treated as the accused as opposed to the victim?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Perhaps a direct complaint to the Chief Constable? You should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
                      Last edited by islandgirl; 22nd July 2021, 16:23:PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Robinryan View Post
                        Will they still help if I am being treated as the accused as opposed to the victim?
                        I see no reason why they won't, just explain the situation. There isn't a 'wrongly accused group'. I believe they will understand and offer help.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                          GO AND SEE A SOLICITOR TODAY. The police will have to prove you were driving. I have heard cases where people claimed not to be driving even theough they were found parked and in the drivers seat. The burden of proof is on the CPS. What have you been charged with exactly? They have to have told you.
                          One question I ask is = Had you been drinking at the time the Police arrested you ?. If you had not had a tipple was a reading taken ?. And if not why not ?.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
                            One question I ask is = Had you been drinking at the time the Police arrested you ?. If you had not had a tipple was a reading taken ?. And if not why not ?.
                            Read the OPs first post for the answers to the questions

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by islandgirl View Post

                              Read the OPs first post for the answers to the questions
                              OK, I take your point but I just needed to make the evidence clear. As you know there will be a possible trial and that will be questions asked, I agree there should have been more time taken in this case, It appears many mistakes were made that will show at trial.
                              Last edited by DE DOGS; 23rd July 2021, 07:05:AM.

                              Comment

                              View our Terms and Conditions

                              LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                              If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.


                              If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Legal Beagles


                              Donate with PayPal button

                              LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

                              See more
                              See less

                              Court Claim ?

                              Guides and Letters
                              Loading...



                              Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                              Find a Law Firm


                              Working...
                              X