• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should I request permission?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I request permission?

Hello all,
    ... my first post here.

I have a multi-year ongoing issue with a neighbour, regarding a (now) much overgrown and overhanging tree.

The neighbour has never responded to my knocking at his door, or replied to any letters; other than a single reply from his solicitor which bluntly meant "do not trespass on my client's land". [Due to the angle-of-growth of the tree, there is no need to venture further than the boundary fence.]

Although I know I can trim what's overhanging, I would prefer to have it cut further back (lower), so as to improve the aesthetics of the trunks and branches of the remainder of the tree. However, this would entail cutting beyond the boundary (but without entry at ground level to his property - just from my side, and the tree itself).

As I have not received any response from him previously, my question is would it be a viable proposition for me to instead of asking his permission, which I expect to never have a response to; just write to him advising that it's going ahead unless he notifies me in writing within 28 days that it can't.?

Then, with no reply within the timescale - it will be cut where I want it; or with a negative reply - it will be cut on my side, as per the law.

Any and all advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Tags: None

Hi Sagittonius:

Here's some info:

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-ne...and-boundaries

Comment

Cut beyond the boundary and with a neighbour like that you will be in court fighting a claim to replace that tree plus damages.

Comment

Boundary only and give the cutting to them,

Comment

Thanks for the replies, but maybe I should have been more specific with the question.

Instead of asking the neighbours permission to cut the tree where I want it trimmed back to (further than the boundary), which would undoubtedly go ignored, I turn the option around.

I send him a letter stating that the tree WILL be cut where I want it cut, unless he says no. This then puts the onus on him to respond.

Is the above comment a legally acceptable procedure?

Comment

No, as he is under no obligation to respond to you, and his silence cannot be construed as agreement

Comment

DES8 - thank you.

Neighbour's eh!
              Who'd have 'em?

Comment

I have had a further thought about the reply from DES8.

If the neighbour's "silence cannot be construed as agreement", then what would be the position if I told him "" I'm cutting the trees to the boundary - do you want the cuttings back "", and then no response (say) after three weeks notice, the trees got cut, the cuttings shredded/mulched and disposed of - but actually, he DID want them back; but denied seeing my recorded delivery/ signed for letter.

Surely there must be some presumption of the document being delivered and accepted by the signatory (being the sole resident at the delivered address), and with the onus on that person to respond in an 'appropriate' timescale.

It cannot be right that no response equals yes OR no response equals no.

Any further suggestions on this, please.

Comment

Originally posted by sagittonius View Post
                  I have had a further thought about the reply from DES8.

If the neighbour's "silence cannot be construed as agreement", then what would be the position if I told him "" I'm cutting the trees to the boundary - do you want the cuttings back "", and then no response (say) after three weeks notice, the trees got cut, the cuttings shredded/mulched and disposed of - but actually, he DID want them back; but denied seeing my recorded delivery/ signed for letter.

Surely there must be some presumption of the document being delivered and accepted by the signatory (being the sole resident at the delivered address), and with the onus on that person to respond in an 'appropriate' timescale.

It cannot be right that no response equals yes OR no response equals no.

Any further suggestions on this, please.
                  If he's already sent a solicitors letter, which no doubt has a cost fee, it might be an idea to leave well alone. Wait until the 'festive season' buy him a bottle of his favorite tipple or something else he maybe grateful for, see if that helps to break the ice. There is plenty that can go wrong with your current strategy.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/neighbour-...ging-branches/

Comment

First up don't send letters "signed for".
                    Delivery of such a letter can be refused.
                    Send letters first class and obtain a free certificate of posting from PO. They are deemed delivered.

You offer the cuttings to your neighbour as they are his. You can't just throw them over the fence as that would be fly tipping and a criminal offence.
                    If he doesn't positively accept them you may dispose of them, so you say "please advise by dd/mm if you require me to give you the cuttings"

That is not the same situation you describe in post 1 where you are requesting permission to do something.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X