• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mothers forenames changed in her childhood.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers forenames changed in her childhood.

My mothers forenames were changed in her childhood, apparently by her step mother, naturally with the permission of her biological father.
    However, no deed poll records can be found giving legal validity to this change of name at that time.
    I have searched for local records of deed poll registrations and found nothing, I have searched the Gazette and the National Archives, and again have found nothing.
    My mothers birth certificate has her original name, however, my birth certificate has her name, post name change.
    I have a number of other official documents, like my mothers death certificate and marriage certificate.
    The evidence I have to tie together my mothers earlier name, with her later name, is as follows.

The date of birth and the city, my mother was born in, are the same on both my mothers birth and death certificates. Despite the two certificates, having my mother, as having two different names.
    My mothers birth certificate that uses my mothers earlier name, has her fathers name and his profession, and also has her, biological mothers forename and maiden name.
    This same information, such as, the fathers name and profession, and biological mothers name, including the biological mothers maiden name, can be found on my mothers marriage certificate, although on the marriage certificate, my mother is by then using her later forenames. Naturally her Surname was also changed as part of the marriage process. That, in turn associates my mothers Surname with mine also.

I need some kind of legally acceptable acknowledgment, in lieu of an official deed poll document, giving acceptable legal authority to my mothers earlier name change.
    What can I do? What kind of document might I get?

What are trying to achieve? For what purpose are you trying to tie up the details?

anyone can use any name they want, as long as there is no intention to deceive, without doing it "officially"

Comment

Hi Ostell, my reasoning for tying my name to mothers birth name, is that I wish to registrar myself in the Irish Foreign Births Register.
      As my mothers, biological mother was born in Ireland. This I have documented proof of.
      If I can prove my relationship to my mothers former name, then I can possibly attain Irish citizenship by lineage. This opening up, my ability to acquire an Irish/EU passport.

Comment

I would present them with all the documentation you have and a very detailed covering letter

Comment

Thank you for your input Ostell, however I'm lead to believe, that I will only get one shot. As my original inquiry stated, without sounding rude. I am looking for something legal, (That might stand up in a court) in the way of a UK officially sanctioned document, that might be considered a solid adjudication in lieu of a deed poll document that no longer exists, if it ever did. Basically someone of judicial importance vouching for the evidence presented to them and issuing a document of so. If we were to imagine that this were a matter of family inheritance, how would I proceed in proving my mother, was indeed the same women, as is named on her birth certificate.

Comment

Update. It has been suggested by another group, that I might apply to the family courts, for a 'declaration of parentage' document. This 'declaration of parentage' document, serving as a valid and legally sanctioned document of my mothers name change, in lieu of a deed poll. Any thoughts on this are appreciated. I'm now researching how I might go about acquiring a 'declaration of parentage'.

Comment

be wary are trying to get a dual nationality passport?

​​​​​​ Travelling abroad

As a dual national you cannot get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.

For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you cannot get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China.

Dual citizenship - GOV.UK - read up if you have not, so many countries have different rules

Comment

Thank you for your input MIKE770. I will be very cautious not to get into any trouble in Ireland. Just as cautious as I am in the UK. ;-)
                However, I wasn't actually aware that one could possess a dual nationality passport. I thought a Passport was unique to the country that issues it?
                In your example: "For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you cannot get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China."
                Out of interest; Can an Irish or other Euro State passport holder, not get diplomatic assistance from the Irish government or their respective European countries government, if they should also hold a UK passport, if, that is, they were to get into trouble in the UK?

Comment

as I read it and been informed, if you have a dual passport and need consular assistance for which you hold a passport for that country the UK consular will not afford assistance due to you being in the said country and would afford that countries facilities??

Comment

With all due respect, I guess what you mean is, if one possesses two passports, associated with two different nationalities, effectively having dual citizenship, then one can not expect consular assistance from the country you got yourself in trouble in, if you hold their passport. Nor can one expect consular assistance from the country that issued your second passport.
                    I think that's fair enough. Not something I feel I should be too worried about.
                    I believe the Republic of Ireland and the UK to be fairly civilized countries, where my fear of getting into trouble is relatively minimal. :-)

But, this discussion does detract from my original question, as to what legally acceptable documentation can I attempt to acquire, that might tie my mothers childhood name change to the name she was later to use on my birth certificate (See original question). Basically My mothers birth certificate forenames and the forenames she was to later use on my birth certificate are different. I need something that can legally sanction that both documents lead to one and the same person. I do have what I believe is adequate evidence of this. (See original posting) But who might I take that evidence to in the UK, that might sign off on it, and officially sanction the connection.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X