• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

eBay buyer dispute - any help / advice welcome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay buyer dispute - any help / advice welcome

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I would be welcome of any advice.

I am having protracted dispute with an eBay buyer, and I'll try to keep the details as concise as possible for you all:

- I sold an iPhone in May and in the listing description said that the phone had a fault, the microphone wasn't functioning and could be repaired for about £40 by most phone shops
    - buyer bought the phone, didn't read the description (she has admitted this in eBay messages)
    - she asks for a refund, we settle on a partial refund of £40, she accepts, repairs the phone at her local phone shop
    - then demands a full refund (£210) and a return
    - return and full refund actioned by eBay, I comply
    - she willingly sends the phone back to an incorrect address (this is my fault for not updating my registered address with eBay as have just moved)
    - I deal with the address issue as soon as I'm made aware (after speaking to eBay), update my account and tell her
    - I have the tracking details of her original return and she has the phone back with her
    - she is now refusing to send the phone back unless I pay her the money that she spend herself having the microphone repaired, (originally for the cost of a screen protector at £10, too) and for the postage... The postage is my responsibility.

We have gone round the houses with communication, and I have at all times kept it polite and decent. eBay have been their usual difficult, robotic and often misguided selves but I have made some progress. They have told me not to pay the money, and to report to the Police. Police quite rightly say it's for eBay to advise and not for them. The matter has gone to eBay's Manual Correction Department for a possible refund, but this is still not guaranteed.

The CAB has said I could initiate a Small Claims Court case to recover the value of the sold device but best I exhaust all other avenues first.

The buyer is now claiming that she is refusing to send it back for a second time because:

"... the reason I sent it back willingly before is that I expected the full refund to include the £35 I spent on the repair, as well as the £7.55 postage. This turned out not to be the case, and that is why I don't want to send it again until I have received the rest of the money that I consider is owed to me." She is also claiming that the listing description text is a contract between buyer and seller, and that me referring to the approximate cost of the repair is my obligation to pay her back. I'm bemused by this as she has stated in previous messages that she bought the phone having not read the description very clearly highlighting the fault.

Any help on the idea of an advert description being a contract would be welcome. And also any advice in general.

This is now very much 2 individuals digging their heels in over a small amount of money, but the fact I have refunded her fully and she returned the phone, but is now holding it to ransom and asking for money for products I didn't sell her is maddening.

With thanks.
    Tags: None

Hi Pole_2_Pole

She spent £35 on the repair to the phone, she has a refund for the phone, less £35.
    You have a phone that's increased it's original value because of the repair. I know she decided to get it repaired, kind of stupid thing to do if she isn't going to keep it. I don't think you will lose out when it's sold. The only loss will be postage costs for you. I expect EBay will try to keep all parties happy. It's a 'unique' situation.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Pole_2_Pole

She spent £35 on the repair to the phone, she has a refund for the phone, less £35.
      You have a phone that's increased it's original value because of the repair. I know she decided to get it repaired, kind of stupid thing to do if she isn't going to keep it. I don't think you will lose out when it's sold. The only loss will be postage costs for you. I expect EBay will try to keep all parties happy. It's a 'unique' situation.
      Thank you for the swift reply.

Are you suggesting paying her the money (after she has had the full refund for the eBay transaction) for the repair? I have to see if the next stage of eBay bothering will work!

I am also accepting a product that has been "fixed" but I have no proof of that, only her word.

Comment

Originally posted by pole_2_pole View Post

Thank you for the swift reply.

Are you suggesting paying her the money (after she has had the full refund for the eBay transaction) for the repair? I have to see if the next stage of eBay bothering will work!

I am also accepting a product that has been "fixed" but I have no proof of that, only her word.
        Ask for the receipt she would have received from the repair shop. No receipt, no refund, copy that to EBay, Be the party that is going all out to seek resolution, always goes well with EBay.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Ask for the receipt she would have received from the repair shop. No receipt, no refund, copy that to EBay, Be the party that is going all out to seek resolution, always goes well with EBay.
          Thanks for the clarification. I'm slightly aggrieved to pay for something that is all down to her error to be honest. It doesn't seem particularly right to pay her off for sending the phone back in good faith and then holding it to ransom.

Any thoughts on an item description being a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by pole_2_pole View Post

Thanks for the clarification. I'm slightly aggrieved to pay for something that is all down to her error to be honest. It doesn't seem particularly right to pay her off for sending the phone back in good faith and then holding it to ransom.

Any thoughts on an item description being a contract?
            Contracts -

https://www.businesscompanion.info/e...umer-contracts

Product description -

https://www.businesscompanion.info/e...tingtoproducts

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X