• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before action letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter before action letter

Hi, I have a static caravan which I sometimes rent. Last year a couple rented from me via Trip advisor. During the last two days of their stay, the shower flow was running hot and cold. I advised them not to use it and arranged for a plumber to visit but because of covid it was after their stay.

They told me that the shower issue had not really affected their stay, but out of goodwill I offered them a future 4 day stay at half price (£100). They gladly accepted and within hours had give me a 4 day stay date from 31st May to 4th June. At that time i did not know it was Whitsun holidays and accepted their booking even though it was up to a £300 loss on the usual Whitsun prices. I accepted that this was my own fault and was ready to let the booking go on. They paid me the £100 payment for the stay a couple of weeks before the holiday, this was all done privately between ourselves, not through Trip Advisor.

I had a family booked in immediately before them for a weeks stay and 4 days before the other family's stay, the family in my caravan at the time asked me if they could pay for another week as they had had such a good time.
    This would obviously cut across my other guests stay which worried me a bit so I contacted them immediately and explained the situation. They were not happy but I agreed to help them find another caravan, although difficult due to the holiday.

They had a disabled child and a nanny with them. I tried to get them alternative accomodation but they said that the child was getting upset at the thought of moving to another caravan so I tried to get accomodation for the other family. The cheapest quotes for another caravan I could get was £325.00 and £400.00 which I offered to them and they refused.

They were pestering me with calls and texts asking what I was going to do but I could do no more. I asked the gentleman to call me, and in the call he made veiled threats of solicitor action as he told me he worked in a solicitors in some capacity and did not really want to have to go down that route.

I told him that due to his harassment and veiled threats that I would have nothing more to do with him and refunded his £100 payment.

He has now sent me an email as a letter before action asking me to send my address to serve the letter. Apparently he wants the diffrerence from the £100 he was paying me for the Whitsun, and the £450 he said he eventually paid someone else for their caravan.
    Any ideas people?.
    Last edited by TommyB24; 14th June 2021, 18:36:PM.
    Tags: None

You have no obligation to supply an address for service of a letter before action.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
      You have no obligation to supply an address for service of a letter before action.
      Thanks EFPOM, yes, I was thinking that myself, he is fishing for a contact address but he has also asked me if I wanted the letter sent to the caravan park who have no dealings with my rentals and don't accept private correspondence, isn't that a data protection issue?. I don't think he even has my surname

Comment

I do not understand why you did not tell the family in the caravan that you were sorry but you could not extend their stay due to another booking?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          I do not understand why you did not tell the family in the caravan that you were sorry but you could not extend their stay due to another booking?
          I think I have explained that one in my post

Comment

Really? I read: . They paid me the £100 payment for the stay a couple of weeks before the holiday, this was all done privately between ourselves, not through Trip Advisor.

I had a family booked in immediately before them for a weeks stay and 4 days before the other family's stay, the family in my caravan at the time asked me if they could pay for another week as they had had such a good time.

So the answer could have been "I am very happy you have had such a great time but the caravan is booked in 4 days time and I am very sorry but I cannot extend your stay"

I do not understand why it was not (I speak as someone who has a holiday let and deals with bookings personally and not through an agency). What am I missing?

Comment

It was mainly the fact that the people already in there were in a position with a disabled child who had got used to the caravan and was upset at the thought of leaving.
              I did get the other renters alternative accomodation at £325 but they refused. I suppose they were pretty happy with a whitsun holiday at £100 and I suppose the fact that they asked for those dates last year when I was unaware that it was the Whitsun holiday, and his legal jargon to me when I asked if they would consider another caravan affected my decision.

My offer to them was only a goodwill one, they never suffered any loss from the first trip, and if you heard the legal insinuations the man made in his phone call to me you would understand my wish not to have any more dealings with them. I actually offered them 18th June for 4 days at their request but he said that he worked in a solicitors office and was glad he didn't have to take any action against me. I hated him from that point.

I know it is not the done thing, and it is something I have never done before, but you know, some people get to you, and this fella was acting like a right pompous A Hole, in his many contacts (Some after 10pm) when I discussed cancellation and obtaining them another rental, asking for a free two days of a weekend instead of a half price 4 day midweek stay, and if I could give them the 4 days completely free later in June if they accepted me cancelling their booking.

Comment

Thank you for explaining and I understand why your heart ruled your head especially with the disabled child. It was a kind thing to do but has potentially caused you some problems now. Do you have any terms and conditions of booking which may help you re liability? As advised you should not give your address but it would be good to know what grounds you would use to reply to his LBA if it ever does find its way to you and may stop you worrying about this.

Comment

Hi, thanks Island Girl, there was no booking terms and conditions for that booking. It was a private goodwill arrangment.

Comment

fully understood but do you have "standard" terms and conditions for your usual bookings at all? Also do you have proof of your offers at the time to pay for a different caravan? Hopefully you won't need any of this and the person wont find your address or is bluffing but best to be prepared!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X