• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I'm not on the Electoral Roll and Worried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not on the Electoral Roll and Worried

Hello, my first time posting.

I had bit of a strange home set up so will quickly explain. I have lived at the same address for 10+ unbroken years, and aside from some brief relocations have lived there for 25+ years. I lived with the home owner as a private tenant, paying a private lodge/rent. Separate lives, separate bedrooms, but lifelong friends and a convenient arrangement for us both.

My friend recently passed away which has devastated me and I’m not thinking as clearly as I used to. Being her closest friend, tenant, and with no partner and an elderly surviving parent, I went through all papers to sort out the estate.

To cut a long story short, I discovered that the home owner never declared me as living at the property to the local council, neither am I on the electoral roll so it . I tied myself up in knots and was admittedly very fearful about contacting the council to inform them of the passing and getting myself registered, believing they would ask where I have been living for over a decade. They didn’t ask and that matter has all been resolved.

So the only concern I have is the ramifications of not being on the electoral roll. As I recall the last time I voted was in 1997. I realise that it was always my responsibility to get that sorted and I took my eye off the ball about it, and want to do everything right now, but am worried that I’ll get the £1,000 fine and get a criminal record.

Friends and family keep saying that as I never had sight of the annual request to update household details then it isn’t my responsibility, and a friend in a similar situation (not registered for 3+ years) recently just applied to have their name registered on the gov.uk website and hasn’t suffered any repercussions.

So am I worrying over nothing, should I just register online or wait until the annual request to update details, and if I am in any trouble, is there anything I can do to help myself?

Any advice or guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
    Tags: None

register on line

Comment

Just posting in case this question helps someone in the future, I registered online and had no trouble. Got sent an acknowledgement and progress update that I'm being added. Thank you for the direct response Mike770.

Comment

The only problem would be if your friend had been claiming single person discount on council tax. Not your problem but could be a claim against the estate.

There are strict rules for who can be sorting out an estate and if there is a living close relative then it would be that person. Others know the order of precedence

Comment

Was there a will? Did your friend have any known relatives? Who owns the house?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X