• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCP Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCP Voluntary Termination

I am the administrator of my late cousin's estate and am trying to enact Voluntary Termination of a PCP that was used to purchase a car. I have been advised that as I was not a party to the contract, this would be dealt with under Probate Law rather than under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Is this the case and, if so, can I still enact Voluntary Termination?
    Tags: None

Did you follow the correct process for exercising the voluntary termination right i.e. by giving them notice in writing?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,
      Yes, I notified them by recorded delivery and specifically stated Voluntary Termination under section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
      They have now recovered and sold the car and sent a statement which includes charges for recovery and auction house charges.
      When the PCP was set up, there was a separate loan for Insurance and, as with the PCP, over 50% of the loan plus interest had been paid but I accept that the insurance balance will need to be paid.

Comment

Well as far as I'm concerned the law is on your side. Section 86(2) of the CCA says this:
        (2) If at the death of the debtor or hirer a regulated agreement is only partly secured or is unsecured, the creditor or owner is entitled, by reason of the death of the debtor or hirer, to do an act specified in paragraphs (a) to (e) of section 87(1) on an order of the court only.
        The reference to section 87(1) includes the creditor's right to terminate the agreement, so in simple terms, the lender cannot treat the contract as having simply ended because of death. As administrator you have the same rights as the hirer so you can exercise the VT right, and I'm not aware of anything otherwise.

Were you told over the phone that you can't rely on VT or was this put in writing? If in writing, can you upload their response so we can see what exactly they are saying
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob, that is very reassuring. The advice that the matter comes under Probate Law rather than the CCA came from Citizens Advice. The agents acting for the Finance Company seem to have a well honed method of dealing with people by not giving answers or explanations, although they are quite adept at sending bills and explaining how to pay them. I've never had to deal with a situation like this before but I simply do not trust either the Finance Company or their agent. I will go back to them and insist that they follow the rules of VT. Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Well why don’t you right back to them and get them to explain to you with reference to any law as to why probate law prevails over your voluntary termination right. They’re then going to have to explain but if they can’t then you can play your card referring to s86(2).

Im tagging des8 as for any clues as probate law is not my best subject.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I wonder what they mean by "Probate Law"

Probate is solely the legal and financial processes involved in dealing with the property, money and possessions ( the assets) of a person who has died.

Executors and administrators rights and duties are as in the Trustee Act 2000 and the Administration of Estates Act 1925

Administration of Estates Act 1925 sec 21
              (Every person to whom administration of the real and personal estate of a deceased person is granted, shall, subject to the limitations contained in the grant, have the same rights and liabilities and be accountable in like manner as if he were the executor of the deceased.)
              read in conjunction with Trustee act 2000 sec 35 which sets out the personal representatives (i.e.executors) rights

As administrator you have the right (even the duty!) to VT the vehicle and your rights are exactly the same as were the deceased's.

Regarding the insurance: if this is GAP insurance contact the insurers directly and inform them of the circumstances and that you want the policy
              cancelled. There should be some return of premium due to the estate.

Comment

Thank you Rob and Des8, I have written to the Finance Company and their agent to question why they haven’t proceeded with VT as requested. The insurance is standard motor insurance, not gap insurance, there will be a balance to pay which is reasonable. I will let you know what happens. Thank you again.

Comment

Hello Rob and Des8, just a quick update on what has become quite a saga. The Services company acting on behalf of the Finance Company have finally confirmed that Voluntary Termination has been accepted, apparently they had "mistakenly" indicated that I had asked for VS. I am still trying to resolve how much is still owed however. I have accepted that there is a payment owed for the separate insurance element of the agreement but they are asking for about £150 more than my calculation but seem unable, or unwilling, to provide a statement detailing their calculation of the sum owed. As a matter of principle, I am persevering with this but we have achieved our main objective and I thank you both for your help and advice. I just feel very sorry for any individuals who are suffering financial problems and having to deal with these people.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X