• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Auto Renewal insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Renewal insurance

Hy I wonder if someone can help me , I have received a letter from my vehicle insurance company saying I owe then £155. Apparently my insurance cover renewed automatically April 5th then they wrote to me asking for documents i.e. passport utility bill etc (in which I didn't receive anything) . Because I didn't reply they then cancelled my insurance may 6th and charged me a cancellation fee and I have to pay this £155 within the next few days. I sorn my vehicle a week ago and I'm so shocked that my insurance had even renewed never mind cancelled . is there anything I can do ?
    Tags: None

Des-8

Comment

So something smells...
      If your policy has auto renewed because YOU did not cancel it you would have 14 days from the time you receive your documentation to cancel it.
      I have never heard of the insurer cancelling one day after auto renewal as that would negate the point of auto renewal.
      Auto renewals proceed if the insured does not stop the process.
      This is so insureds do not end up uninsured because they missed the post

Email your insurers immediately cancelling your insurance.
      I know they have claimed to cancel it, but do it yourself as you will be within the 14 days

Also tell them you do not believe they acted correctly in cancelling an auto renewed policy the day after renewal and will not be paying the charges.
      You need to make an official complaint, so ask them for details of their complaints procedure.

If they do not resolve the matter to your satisfaction you can take the matter to the FoS.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        So something smells...
        If your policy has auto renewed because YOU did not cancel it you would have 14 days from the time you receive your documentation to cancel it.
        I have never heard of the insurer cancelling one day after auto renewal as that would negate the point of auto renewal.
        Auto renewals proceed if the insured does not stop the process.
        This is so insureds do not end up uninsured because they missed the post

Email your insurers immediately cancelling your insurance.
        I know they have claimed to cancel it, but do it yourself as you will be within the 14 days

Also tell them you do not believe they acted correctly in cancelling an auto renewed policy the day after renewal and will not be paying the charges.
        You need to make an official complaint, so ask them for details of their complaints procedure.

If they do not resolve the matter to your satisfaction you can take the matter to the FoS.

hya Des8 Thankyou so much for your reply it was a month the renewal lasted they auto renewed 5th April then cancelled 6th may then sent me then bill Is this legal ?

Comment

OOPs Sorry I completely misread those dates.

With my new understanding I will say that charge is probably correct.

If your arrangement include auto renewal which you had not declined, your policy would have been renewed automatically.
          After one month, not having heard from you and the premium not being paid, the insurers would have given notice of cancellation

As you had insurance cover for one month you will be charged 1/12th of your annual premium, and if it had been arranged through a broker there would have been added their fees (which could easily be around £50)

You express surprise your policy had been auto renewed, and yet only sorned the vehicle a week ago.
          If you need insurance why not try and get the insurers to reinstate the policy, explaining that you never received their renewal papers or premium requests.
          When & if you apply for insurance of any sort you will be asked if you have ever had a policy cancelled.
          You will need to declare and explain this incident and it could effect your obtaining insurance cover.

Comment

As an addition if your vehicle is on SORN ensure that it is parked on private land.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X