• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business not returning my property.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business not returning my property.

Hi and thank you for allowing me to join. I hope someone can advise me on a little issue I have.

Last year I submitted an item for repair to a local shop/business. The item is still not repaired and after a number of polite requests it appears that little progress, if any was made. I requested on a number of occasion via messenger that the item be returned but the owner kept saying its imminent. So I approached the business in person recently to retrieve my property but the owner became irate and hostile until the situation became too unpleasant and I left the premises. A member of staff did contact me afterwards to calm the situation but I have not had any more updates since. I am not able to call back as it was a private (hidden) number.

The value of the item is approximately £300 and the repair work was just under half the value of the item. The item is of sentimental value so I am reluctant to write it off.

I appreciate this is a trivial amount but I wondered if I have any legal grounds to collect it or call on local police etc? I would be interested to know what my options are.

Many thanks

Dogman.
    Tags: None

Okay - no replies then

I think the best thing I can do in the absence of any advice is to contact the police and see if they are able to help.

Dogman

Comment

I was waiting for someone with knowledge in this area to reply. If I were in your situation I would write to the business giving them 7 days to return your property either repaired or unrepaired. I would say that I would have to take the matter further if they do not. I would not be specific at this time. By all means ask the police but I doubt they will be interested. I have lost a watch in similar circumstances (the business closed and the family have not returned items to me and many other customers) so I have great sympathy.

Comment

if they do not then possibly send a 7 day letter of action??? sure somebody will advise, how much in all the goods worth?

Comment

After this length of time your letter should be headed "letter before claim" and IMO tell them you will be initiating a court claim for the return of your property

Comment

I don't disagree at all but merely thought that if all requests for return had been verbal there is no proof that the OP ever asked for it back. If it is acceptable to go straight to letter before claim then go for it!

Comment

OP did state they had used Messenger, (which I have just checked with wife is in writing!)

[I'm one of the 5% of the UK population that do not have a mobile 'phone ]

Comment

Yes you are correct - apologies! I have reread the original post.

Comment

Thank you for all the input. I assumed it was a bit of a dead loss as I didn't elicit any responses initially. So I really appreciate the advice.

It is particularly irksome as the business is about 300yds from my front door as I often have to pass it on my commute, dog walking and shopping. So its not easy to forget about.

The item is a musical instrument which I put in for repair (the business is a shop/ workshop). I am concerned because I am not able to locate the paper receipt. I do have some facebook messenger conversations where we have discussed the item but I wonder if this is a major stumbling block?

Again - thank you all for your comments and advice.

Dogman

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem as you can show the messenger content if necessary

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X