• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rear Alley Way - Access to my garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Alley Way - Access to my garden

I does anyone have an idea regarding access onto a right of way? I live on a terrace house, my title Deed states I have rear access to alleyway leading to an alleyway two houses down.
    I purchased this house 5 years ago. My neighbour has extended her garden to encompass this back alley way and to block my access. Our garden has been extended also. I now want to start using this access point. Her title plan and mine at land registry clearly shows this alleyway in place. Her extended garden is the only house which blocks my access to the side access two houses down.

I have asked to now start using this access and she has declined in writing stating she now considers this land to be hers under a Land Registry Act 2002 adverse possession, but she has only owned for 11 years approx.

Can she just snatch this alleyway up and block my access ? Does anyone know how to go about challenging this and would it be just a complete nightmare to open up this can of worms?

I will seek legal advice but want to know where I stand? Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Do you own the land in question?

Comment

I would immediately notify the Land Registry by recorded delivery that you have objected to her use of this land : and a copy to her. You need to block her claiming adverse possession.
      Also, as you are rightly doing, consult a solicitor asap

Comment

It doesn't really matter if she does obtain ownership of this land by a claim for adverse possession as that will not extinguish your right of way.
        Still do as previously advised tho'

If she refuses to allow you access, you write to her informing her you intend to apply to the courts for an injunction ordering her to unblock your access, together with an order she pays the cost of the action

Comment

Statement of fact : Des is more knowledgeable than I am. I would give more weight to his advice. I agree with what he posts.

Comment

Originally posted by bre3457 View Post
            I does anyone have an idea regarding access onto a right of way? I live on a terrace house, my title Deed states I have rear access to alleyway leading to an alleyway two houses down.
            I purchased this house 5 years ago. My neighbour has extended her garden to encompass this back alley way and to block my access. Our garden has been extended also. I now want to start using this access point. Her title plan and mine at land registry clearly shows this alleyway in place. Her extended garden is the only house which blocks my access to the side access two houses down.

I have asked to now start using this access and she has declined in writing stating she now considers this land to be hers under a Land Registry Act 2002 adverse possession, but she has only owned for 11 years approx.

Can she just snatch this alleyway up and block my access ? Does anyone know how to go about challenging this and would it be just a complete nightmare to open up this can of worms?

I will seek legal advice but want to know where I stand? Thanks in advance
            From what I can see on land registry she nor I has ownership
            It was the original alley way

Comment

Someone owns it, just might not be able to find who, which leaves the possibility of adverse possession.
              As you are not the owner you could not object to an adverse possession claim, but any such claim will not extinguish your right of access which is attached to the burdened land.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X