• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes

Hi
    Hope someone can help. My partner has been renting a small unit to do up motorcycles. The unit is part of a building with approx 10 others. All closed by shutters and no identification. A couple of weeks ago he found his unit had been broken into a 2 bikes had been stolen. The people responsible went straight to his unit so knew exactly what unit they wanted. You would not know what’s in each unit.
    When he asked the agent for the cctv he was told it had been stolen 3 weeks prior and had not yet been replaced. None of the unit renters had been informed that the cctv had been stolen. Is the landlord liable? Is it worth taking him to court? Naively my partner didn’t insure the unit. The bikes are off road bikes so aren’t insured.

We would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks
    Tags: None

I rent out similar units and it is clear in the contract that I have no liability whatsoever for the goods in the units.The person storing items must insure them. What does your partner's contract say?

Comment

It's not my area but have you checked the terms of the rental/lease to see if CCTV is part of the deal? (not that it would neccesarilly have prevented the theft)

Maybe R0b or des8 could advise.

I've had dirt bikes all my life and have had several stolen so I know how you feel! What were the bikes exactly?

Comment

They were YZ250’s .... although that means nothing to me I’m not exactly sure what his contract says at the minute. I was thinking about the cctv getting stolen and the landlord not informing them might have been an issue. I think he’s just going to take the hit and learn from it. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Doubt there is much that can be done as I don't suppose (even if it is part of the rental contract) that the landlord can even be accused of contributory negligence because of non provision of CCTV.

Regarding lack of insurance .. it is available for off road bikes.
          You said the unit was not insured.....presumably you mean no contents cover for the rented unit?
          Or did you mean he doesn't have tenants liability insurance? no! what happens if he burns the place down?

Comment

The unit owner will have the unit insured but not the contents I expect - that is what I do. I make it clear that I hold no insurance whatsoever for their items. If my unit burnt down I would claim on my insurance and I expect they would try to recover the money from whoever caused the fire (if someone did). I agree - the unit holders should hold insurance to cover them for this. We have cctv but it is not mentioned in the contract. I do not believe you could hold the unit owner liable because the cctv was not working. Indeed cctv would not prevent the theft but may have assisted in finding the culprits!

Comment

Agree with all other comments and to check the contract terms too. However, I would deviate slightly frm Des' point and say that if the storage company was offering/advertising their units as secure or with CCTV coverage then it's possible you could sue on them on that basis.

Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act would help with that. Question is whether the owner has taken steps to arrange replacement of CCTV and if 3 weeks is a reasonable time to find a replacement.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X