• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

University behaving questionably.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University behaving questionably.

Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting here so I do apologise if I overlook forum etiquette.

I'm currently studying a foundation year at university with progression to medicine. The foundation year allows progression to medicine and other science based courses subject to the achievement of specific grades. As part of the universities response to the COVID19 pandemic they announced all students on my course will progress to the next level of study regardless of academic credit, grades etc.. apart from me.

I spoke to the Head of Quality Assurance who explained "professional bodies with clinical practice components, such as the General Medical Council, monitor institutional level criteria and policies to ensure that an appropriate standard of attainment has been achieved for entrants admitted to the course and to ensure ongoing registration it is not possible to waive such criteria."

I spoke to an Educational Policy Administrator at the GMC who said they wouldn't be involved in this process, wouldn't set specific criteria and said the only guidance they give is "Organisations must make sure that recruitment, selection and appointment of learners is open, fair and transparent" I then sent this response to the Head of QA at the university to which he/she responded with "It is important for the University to uphold entry and progression requirements for professionally regulated programmes with clinical practice elements, and whilst specific criteria is not explicitly defined by the GMC, such adherence is part of our obligations as an accredited provider".

My issue with this is I feel its incredibly unfair to allow everyone else to progress regardless of grades apart from me under the guise of PSRB/regulatory body guidelines that are based on rhetoric. It seems like a "because we can" decision rather than something that has substantial justification.

There is no mention of achieving specific grades due to regulatory requirements to gain entry to the course in my student contract, the module handbook, the course website or anywhere for that matter. The foundation year itself isn't regulated which is stated clearly on the website and documentation. The Programme Manager for my course said even she didn't know the specifics as they were never explained to her, it was just given as a matter of fact by medicine admissions. The one thing they did say from the get go is that I had to pass an MMI (interview) to assess my suitability, which I did and my Programme Manager tried to argue with medicine that they can only enforce that, but to no avail.

I really feel like they are mugging me off here. Does anyone have any advice or resources I can use to formulate a concrete argument?

TIA
    Tags: None

Does the uni have a formal appeals process?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Does the uni have a formal appeals process?
      Yes they do. I thought I would seek advice before going ahead.

Comment

A couple of questions if you don't mind

Are you the only person who wants to go on into medicine - i.e. have they let others through but not you?

I would tend to agree that the GMC would not be involved at this stage although clearly at degree stage they are involved.

Next question- have you contacted the SU? They are there to help you and you should probably get hold of the education officer or similar and get them to take up your case. They will have more clout than just you.

Do you want to share which Uni this is? I understand if you do not.

Comment

Another thing to add is that some universities do postgrad medicine- this is aimed at students who often did a related UG degree such as Biology or Biochemistry , get the grades required and want to be a DR. This is I think another 3 years- I believe it is a bit odd as you are not classed as a PG but not as an UG you fall between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
            A couple of questions if you don't mind

Are you the only person who wants to go on into medicine - i.e. have they let others through but not you?

I would tend to agree that the GMC would not be involved at this stage although clearly at degree stage they are involved.

Next question- have you contacted the SU? They are there to help you and you should probably get hold of the education officer or similar and get them to take up your case. They will have more clout than just you.

Do you want to share which Uni this is? I understand if you do not.
            Thank you. No problem.

I'm the only student on the medicine pathway as its very competitive and aimed at mature students.

I have spoken to the SU who gave me general advice about the appeals process, what grounds I should appeal on etc.. The SU rep said its a really complex case that she had never seen before so wasn't really helpful in any other way than how to appeal.

I really feel like there's a breach of consumer law here. I had a look at the CMA document and theres a few points that resonate with the situation..

Comment

Not a legal approach but I often recommend contacting your constituency M.P for help. It's their job to intervene in behalf of constituents if they have suffered injustice. I believe you have.
              Ask Uni to explain the criteria for the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Scot22 View Post
                Not a legal approach but I often recommend contacting your constituency M.P for help. It's their job to intervene in behalf of constituents if they have suffered injustice. I believe you have.
                Ask Uni to explain the criteria for the decision.
                Thank you for your advice Scot22. I will definitely contact him/her.

The criteria for the decision has not been explained to me, I've asked the right people but been ignored.

Comment

I wonder if it can be requested under Freedom of Information Act. Surreal not giving any reasons for preventing you pursuing your goals. They should be in writing, not just verbal flannel.
                  Seems a bit like being charged for committing a crime but not being told what it was. Reprehensible.

Comment

Do you perhaps have a personal tutor? Arrange a meeting (zoom or similar) and ask for their help?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X