• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Advice

My father died 18 months ago leaving his estate to my stepmother. She has since died and we found out that the house, on which there is a mortgage still owing, has never been transferred into my stepmothers name as she failed to complete the transfer paperwork or make any payments since my father’s death. She has now left her estate including the house to her children. Is her will valid if she technically doesn’t own the property and there is money owing on it? There was a caveat in my fathers will that if my stepmother died within a certain time frame, I think it was 60 or 90 days , that the estate would be split between his children and my stepmothers children. She did not die within this time but I wondered if this had any bearing on what happens now.
    Tags: None

Yes the will is still valid but technically as she doesn't own the house outright only her share will form part of her estate as the mortgage company will still expect to be paid and will have a charge registered with the land registry. Your father's will has no effect.
    Last edited by EnglandPi; 17th March 2021, 01:27:AM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Thanks for this. So can we assume that the executors (solicitors) will have to sell the property in order to repay the outstanding mortgage (there is no other equity in the estate to do this) and then the remaining proceeds will be split between the beneficiaries?

Comment

Originally posted by Cindyt View Post
        Thanks for this. So can we assume that the executors (solicitors) will have to sell the property in order to repay the outstanding mortgage (there is no other equity in the estate to do this) and then the remaining proceeds will be split between the beneficiaries?
        Correct

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X