• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property manager repossessed items from Storage Locker in Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property manager repossessed items from Storage Locker in Error

Hi Legalbeagles,

I wanted to get legal advice on the following please.

My parents have rented a large storage locker in the basement of their building in London for 40yrs and this has always been paid on time via standing order. The cupboard was full of their things and they had not managed to visit it in several years due to ill health but had no reason to believe anything untoward would have happened. I visited the storage cupboard yesterday and to my shock and anger it was empty and a new lock had been placed on it. There was a small part of a torn piece of paper attached to it. Most of the storage lockers around were empty and a few of the ones with things in them have notices of repossession on them.

It’s seems the Property Manager has made a huge error and incorrectly placed a notice on my parents locker at some point and then removed all the items illegally, without ever notifying them. They send an invoice every single quarter with the locker number on it, which is paid in advance yet for no reason they have incorrectly emptied the locker. We are extremely angry and upset about all the items lost not to mention memories of my late father.

Can you please advise what legal recourse we have to get compensation of some sort and whether we can also complain to a government body?

Kind regards
    Tags: None

Hi, please could someone assist with my query. I’m not sure what can be done legally.
    many thanks in advance

Comment

Start with the contract for the lease of the storage area. Then get your parents to start listing everything stored there - and value of each item.

Comment

Thank you. It now turns out the property manager mixed up the storage locker numbers on the invoice and has admitted fault.
        what compensation can I get or legal standing do I have please?

Comment

Your parents should write (first class post with free certificate of postage from PO) to the storage company advising them of what they have discovered.
          Tell the company that due to the negligence of its employees your parents hold the company responsible for all their losses.
          They will produce an inventory and valuation in due course.

Do your parents still have a copy of their contract?
          It is quite likely that there will be a clause therein to hold harmless the storage company.

Do your parents have household insurance (which might just cover the contents whilst in storage)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X