• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is a leaseholder liable for historical “unauthorised alterations”?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a leaseholder liable for historical “unauthorised alterations”?

Currently in the process of seeking an extension of the lease, an inspection by the freeholder’s surveyor has shown that the floor plan is different from the original lease. The bathroom was moved before I bought the flat in Brent Council area, but the floor plan hadn’t amended at the time of purchase. The freeholder is accusing me of a breach of the lease and demanding that I reinstate the property back to the original plan by April and pay all his legal costs. On top of all this, I've had to take the freeholder to a tribunal to extend the lease as he's made it nigh on impossible for me to extend. If he can find a legal challenge to be awkward, he uses it.

I’ve found the previous owner who made the alterations back in 1991. They’re adamant they sought the permission of the freeholder and the council. However the previous owners do not want to get involved in the tribunal case nor are they willing to provide any more information, so they're not much use. What is of use is that there is a building controls summary on the council website, which states the work was authorised and started but not completed. We won't ever know what this means as the records are so historical dating back 30 years that they maybe just incomplete.

I've had two separate legal advice - the solicitor I'm working with says there's no statute of limitations for this sort of issue when its a breach of the lease, while another litigation advisor says that this is a council enforcement issue and the government guidelines state that a complaint about a substantial breach has to be within ten years. Even if that ten years meant from the time I owned the flat, it would have expired as I bought it 13 years ago.

It's a complicated situation, where I'm due to go to a tribunal next month, spending a fortune on legal fees, my solicitor wants me to also hire a barrister for the issue of the amended plan and is quoting a figure upto Ł4k. Help!
    Tags: None

Regarding the reasonableness of the administration charges you might find some commentaries on this case useful: Avon Freeholds Limited v Alexander Garnier [2016],UKUT 477 (LC)

A tenancy agreement is a deed, which is known as a specialty and covered by section 8 of the Limitation Act 1980.
    As the breach(es) occurred over 12 years ago, I would think. section 8 of the Limitation Act 1980 should provide a defence against any legal action initiated by the lessor

At least that is what I understand the position to be, but I am not a legally trained professional..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X