• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reimbursement for Disposal of Property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reimbursement for Disposal of Property?

I am separating and the other party has countless items in the house and appears unwilling to remove them. This includes multiple heavy boxes of newspapers, books, etc.

As I cannot leave them, do I have any claim to have them disposed of and then charge back this cost to the other party? Perhaps through a small claims process? If so, are there specific laws on which I could rely to support my case?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bstairs; 18th February 2021, 14:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Does the 'other party enjoy a right of occupation of the dwelling?

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
      Does the 'other party enjoy a right of occupation of the dwelling?
      Hi Efpom, they have periodic access to the dwelling to collect items they want. These items are not what they want, but are their property (from previous employment etc.) Where do I stand here? Thanks.
      Last edited by Bstairs; 22nd February 2021, 13:47:PM.

Comment

If a right of occupation exists, you are not entitled to dispose of any of the 'other' party's property.

If no such right exists, then, on suitable notice, you are entitled to dispose of that property, by sale by auction - any profit is to be given to the other party, and any loss is a claim against the other party.

Comment

Originally posted by Bstairs View Post

Hi Efpom, they have periodic access to the dwelling to collect items they want. These items are not what they want, but are their property (from previous employment etc.) Where do I stand here? Thanks.
          OK, thank you for the reply Efpom. I will look into the 'other party's' rights in this regard.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X