• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right To Buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right To Buy

Hi All
    I am a secure council tenant having lived in my current property for 12 years. I have recently exercised my Right to Buy and was given a 50% discount. Lovely, you say, however applying for my mortgage, the lender would not lend, because the property is what is known as a Pre-fabricated concrete dwelling (Reema Hollow Panel) and suffers from "ineffective protection of the embedded steel in the reinforced concrete load bearing parts of the building, meaning I would not be eligible for assistance under Part XVI of the Housing Act 1985 in respect of the property.
    In 2016 the council did a wraparound of all these properties and at the time I thought this would make them mortgageable as would making the wraparound brick. It turns out they didn't do the repair under the PCC Licensing Scheme and having spoken to the project manager who dealt with the works, he advised they had structural surveys done on all the properties and were advised that should they do the repair which they did in 2016, the houses were good for another 30 years, so they went with this as it was the cheapest option, instead of making repair under the PCC Licencing Scheme which would have made it mortgageable.
    My question is, although I am able to exercise Right To Buy, I would be unable to sell the property eventually if I wanted to or even leave it to my kids as it has short life span and had the council done the correct repair, I would not be in this position. Am I within my rights to tell the council that they should move me to a house where it would be viable to buy using RTB without the need for me to be on their waiting list or to mutually exchange?
    I am really quite upset about this, as I wanted to sort out as I am approaching 53 and chances of getting a mortgage a getting slimmer, however, even as a cash buyer it would not be viable to purchase the property. Hoping someone can advise me. Thank you
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X