• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Builder Problem, Need Advice On The Next Step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder Problem, Need Advice On The Next Step

Hello.

A month ago we have had a work from the buiulder done at our house.
    We required stripping down two ceilings in both of the bedrooms (above is a loft).

First of all, he supposed to "streighten" timbers which were sagging down the ceiling, that was the initial idea of having them replaced, the timbers he has used are too short, and doesn't lay down on the bearing wall, meaning all the wieght is added to already bent. Ceiling is sagging down again, its not level, when checked with a spirit level, its hella unstraight, like a waves on the ocean.. that's not what we have agreed for, he supposed to make ceiling nice and flat, of course skimming wor k etc. was also included. Plaster on the ceiling is already cracking in a long line, when we have daylight, we can see shadow creating from the uneven ceiling he has done. Also screws are coming though the plaster job.

I've told him, we would like to use loft for the storage room or something, so I believe knowing this he supposed to use better materials, he said he would use up to 15cm wide timbers, and used only 10cm, knowing that we need stronger ones..and then at the end of his job, he saiod we cant store there anything, because it will cause problems, but that wasnt the initial idea of the work he has taken..so now we have useless space on the loft, because he has done such a poor job, we cant store there anything..

For this job we have paid almost 4500, after talking to the trader and sending him sign for letter, he said he can refund 500, and offer "his" worker to use this money to repair it at our cost which is ridicolous, as repeat performance should be done by him, at his own cost. After telling him this, and pointing more of the bad job he has done, he tried to clean himself by saying that our house walls are "uneven" so he couldn't make it streaight etc. and this is why timbers are shorter, not even along the ceiling, but ending few centimeters before the bearing wall as seen on the pictures.

Finally he offered 1000 of refund, I've asked for at least 50% of the cost we have paid.
    I dont want to accept 1000, as I know fixing this would require more of the job.

What's the best option is that I can do?

Below I attach few of the pictures of the job he has done:
    Tags: None

If he knew you were wanting to use the space above for flooring etc the beams should be a lot deeper, not thicker. Lift a floorboard and look at those beams.

Comment

Yeah I meant they are only 10cm heigh.

what should I do in this instance, would it need to be fully redone, to make
      it properly, or would it be possible to “screw” in additional timbers or something?
      whst about the quality of his job?

Comment

What you should do about the substandard work, and whether or not it can be brought up to standard is dificult to say without inspecting.
        Have you considered having the work examined by a reputable builder or surveyor?

Don't suppose you had a written contract??
        How did you pay..cash/credit card/debit card?
        Did you get an invoice or recepit?

However as the builder apparently has not done what he was contracted to do, you have a number of options.

Firstly he has acted fraudulently, so although they won't do anything you could report him to the police for fraud.
        You can also complain to Trading Standards.

If he is refusing to refund your money you can WRITE (first class with free certificate of posting from Post Office) to him detailing where he has breached the contract and request full return of your money within 14 days.

Warn him that failure will result in you initiating a county court claim under your rights bestowed by the Consumer Rights act 2015.

Comment

Sorry forgot to include these sort of information.
          paid by debit card, first sum of 1800 which was deposit.. then the rest of the money anfter he completed the work, also by debit card, and received confirmation by email.

yes we have had a contract written, and also we’ve exchanged a lot of messages. He initially knew we want a loft space for maybe a room in the future, or storage room like.

ive spoken to citizen advice after he completed his work, because I’ve had somebody to look at the work he done and they were shocked to how bad sytandard it has been done to.

he basically completed all the jobs by himself, only stripping down the ceiling has been done by two random guys, who came with a 10-12 yr old kid? Weird but okay..

adter speaking to citizen advice I’ve had a call from building co troll who has come and checked the work he has done and they confirmed it has been done wrong, and anyway initial idea he has presented was. Incorrect in this type of work, should have been done different way with a proper use of materials.

we have asked for 50% refund, he said it’s too steep for him and said he can only do 1000, because he ordered a “large skip” etc. And costed him, but in fact skip was so small it barely fit everything, materials he used was cheap because of the size and not even as it should be “strength”, and also at the end he has been taking some of the materials back to his van, like he bought too much, or I’d didn’t use it fully on our ceiling, like he missed few of the timbers on my brothers bedroom.. (to strengthen them)

now he is saying to me that it would be properly done if I allowed him to pull up the ceiling using the roof rafters instead of installing better timbers to support it, but that would decrease my space on the loft.

We don’t want to agree for 1000, we also already have sent him a letter, stating what you said, then he messaged me asking for the images etc. So I have sent him with all the description what’s wrong etc.

How to ask for more money back? Should I threaten with takin it to court or something?

Comment

From the info you have now given I would be asking for the whole amount.
            If you have to have it completely ripped out why should you pay anything?

As you paid by debit card ask the card issuer to do make charge backs for both amounts.

Comment

Would this be considered bad if I asked my bank for the chargeback? Could he take any actions against me later?

ahousp I sent him some emails saying anything or not inform about anything ?

Comment

Not considered bad at all and no need to advise him. The banks will do it all if they accept you have a case.
                Banks offer a chargeback protection, so use it if possible.
                It is a lot less stressful than court action, but if unsuccessful you can still progress through the court system

Comment

Okay, will sort that out tomorrow.
                  my bank has a form online for such a dispute.
                  so will see how it goes, I’m not sure how will my builder respond to the fact of this chargeback, but I hope it all goes well. I’m just wondering that he could turn this around and put a blame on me, like I took the money out of his business and he can’t function or something like that...

Comment

But you won't be taking money from him.
                    If you are lucky your bank are getting the money from his bank because he shouldn't have it..
                    Looking at the standard of work you will be doing others a favour if he can't function!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X