• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute barred advice needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute barred advice needed please

Good morning,

I'm looking for some advice please regarding a statute barred debt relating to an old loan.

It dates back to 2011 and the loan defaulted in 2013. I went with Step Change after losing my job and managed to get my repayments in order with their help.

I was contacted at my current address last year by Moorcroft acting on behalf of Natwest regarding the loan and requesting payment. I assumed this debt was part of my plan with Stepchange but it was somehow missed. I sent them a letter advising the debt was statute barred.

Natwest have confirmed they are unable to take me to Court as no payment or acknowledgement from me but are telling me that because they sent me annual statements (to an address i moved from 5 years ago) and the DCA wrote to me at the old address, they can still chase for payment.

Could anyone please confirm if this is correct? I'm self employed and struggling with little work at the moment but should be able to get some money together to make a small payment to settle the account, is this worth a try?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Let them chase - it is all they can do. The debt is Statute Barred and they have acknowledged this. I have been through this twice with NatWest. In the last six weeks I have written to them on this matter. What I said was:

As your records will show, the above accounts are Statute Barred under The Limitation Act 1980. I hereby give you notice, once again, that I shall not be making any payments to you whatsoever relating to these accounts.

Section 7.15.8 of the same act says: A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.

Accordingly, I now require you to stop sending me statements that amount to demands for payment or any other demands for payment.

I got a grovelling apology within two weeks,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X