• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Objection over extension post build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objection over extension post build

Hi,

I'm in the process of completing my rear extension and awaiting sign-off from the building control - everything this far has been ok and we expect the final sign-off tomorrow. My neighbour is now having objections to its size due to a dispute over the party wall (thats a different story). When we agreed to build and have a shared party wall at the extension of the property, our build was always going slightly further than next door's. They were aware of this although we didn't notify them in writing or conduct a neighbour consultation as the extension reaches 3.5m from the rear. We rather naively thought our verbal agreements were enough and we were ill advised on what we needed to obtain - big lesson learnt here! Now over a dispute they are raising objections over the extension and we are concened about what might happen if they raise it with the local authority. I've looked around and can't find any advice for someone who has not consulted neighbours after they have finished the build. While they obviously have a right to object (and we now know we should have tackled this properly in pre-build), it has come more out of spite from a disagreement rather than any real objection since they are also extending, but only to 3m.

Thanks

Did your extension require and obtain planning permission?

Comment

des8 No - or not that we were informed of. Its a single storey which means that we could go out 3m with no issues but as I understand it, anything over 3m should have had a neighbour consultation.

Comment

so you didn't even obtain a certificate of lawful development!

So apply now for retrospective planning

OR you're going to have to become hard nosed and negotiate with him.
        Remind him he is trespassing on your property and if he now objects to your extension you will sue for trespass.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X